Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Issue

Options
  • 20-05-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am having intermitting problems with my broadband for the last 8 weeks now. Firstly NTL said they were working on the lines in the area but that has finished a month ago and still the same issue.

I am connected to the modem directly from the laptop. It's possible to surf and view websites normally but when I try to download any sort of file the download status pauses after about 5% and then nothing, Youtube videos repeatedly stop every few seconds and Skype keeps dropping the connection during calls. I have tested 3 other laptops on the same line and still the same problem, the funny thing is when I test these laptops on Eircom and Vodafone, everything works perfectly. I am really puzzled because every time I call NTL they say the line is OK.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

It sounds like you may be dropping packets?
    Have you run any ping test? If not run a handfull of strings and see if you are dropping? If your browsing is ok but downloads are poor or stopping completely seems like its lost packets alright.

Once a page has loaded it needs no more packets to be displayed so the operation of displaying the page and loading it only needs a very short burst of packets a download on the other hand needs a continious stream.

If the test they are running is only a snapshot it may not see that momentary packet drop thats why the ping test would help.

If your speaking with them again if you explain that to them and kindly ask if they could run a 30day period test? Depending on their tools it should only take five mins but may point out some outherwise hidden issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 beprint

sometimes you can download the file, but then the file is coruppt or unknown puplisher

ping -t response time is most round 60 ms and than it is going up to 582ms
    or 110, 81ms

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Download (if you can! :>) winmtr - http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/. Open it up and run a continous traceroute on say.. www.youtube.com, leave it for 30 mins or so and then have a look, should tell you if and where you are dropping packets.

Edit - if you're using Vista then Winmtr won't work, http://www.pingplotter.com/ should give you the same info though, I believe they have a 30 day trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What is a good ping rate ?..............10 , 20 , 30 ..100 , 200 , 500 ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Depends on your connection and what exactly it is you're pinging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I do alot of on line gaming - upc 10m down 1m up - i do a speedtest and get speeds near enough to this 9.5 down .8 up .

But the ping rate is 42m ... is this good , bad ????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

mixednuts wrote: »
    I do alot of on line gaming - upc 10m down 1m up - i do a speedtest and get speeds near enough to this 9.5 down .8 up .

But the ping rate is 42m ... is this good , bad ????????

The ping depends on where you're pinging, for want of a better way of putting it.

If you'rerunning Speedtest.net, then it's showing you the ping to Dublin probably.

If you were pining America for instance, it would be higher.
    It's simply down to the distance.

If you're playing a game that has it servers in England, or Europe, 42ms is perfectly fine.

You shouldn't be having problems with that.

Advertisement