Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody up for a Surf

Options
  • 20-05-2009 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm a complete beginner at surfing. I'm gonna take a few lessons and then maybe start surfing by myself at the weekends down in Fanore beech in clare (1 hour from Galway and so the closest).
    I'm going to be heading out early on either saturday or sunday mornings for about 3 hours and back in galway by about 1 or 2. I'm looking to meet up with other surfers (or beginners) for a regular weekend surf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Won't make it myself, but I've been thinking about doing similar.
    Dunno what the outlay costs are, but wanted to get a [long] weekend's worth of lessons to give me a taste and hopefully standing on a board.

What sort of prices are you looking at for the lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sounds cool. I'd be interested in cost too, not exactly 'splashing out' times for me. Oh God, bad unintentional pun, sorry.:p

Isn't there a surf place closer, toward Spidéal? Or am I thinking of something else?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do me a favour, will ya? If you arrive at the beach and see someone fishing, don't surf right in front of them. Its not only annoying and inconsiderate, its also dangerous - hooks and lead weights flying through the air ;) Beaches are for more than surfers, so please be considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You can get surf lessons at Fanore from:

http://www.surfschool.tv/asp/index.asp?ObjectID=1061&Mode=0&RecordID=1&w=1440

I took a couple lessons with Peter last year and really enjoyed it, especially as there were only about 6 in the lesson so you get more 'one to one' coaching.

For a beginner one or two lessons is plenty to start with. The important thing is to practice practice and practice what you learn in this lesson which takes a lot of time, patience and (wait for it!) practice

I will probably be down there on Saturday. I'll be the one who easily catches his first wave before wasting two hours not catching anymore (through my own uselessness).

Only surfing for a year but I love it, wish I had started years ago. Enjoy the waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 heinze

im a complete beginner too, and i got a lesson at fanore a couple of weeks back from peter in the aloha surf school.35 euro each and we really enjoyed it,(the weather was class that day too!) just bought a wetsuit since, and gona check out a few boards before i buy one. im sure ill need help choosin one!

fanore took just an hour from galway so it wasnt too bad. although if the tides in, the submerged rocks can be dangerous. and never surf alone ive been told!

gona giv it a go again this weekend wit the mates, hope to make it a regular thing, and im sure we'll meet a few of you guys there. :)

• Advertisement

heinze wrote: »
    fanore took just an hour from galway so it wasnt too bad. although if the tides in, the submerged rocks can be dangerous. and never surf alone ive been told!

Oops I should have mentioned that there are strong rips around Fanore, especially where the river runs onto the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wina1

I did quiet alot of surfing last year and took lessons from Peter in Aloha - can totally recommend it and him. Fanore is brilliant for waves and yes there is a rip but much better than the deadness of Lahinch. I was down there-thats Lahinch-last Thurs weather was fab it was around 2pm so tide out not a breeze in sight yet the surf school were out robbing people letting them basically float on the boards cause there wasn't much else they could do!!!
    Most of my friends prefer to bodyboard as they find the boards easier to manoeuver. Me I like the surfing have my own skins waiting till I improve before getting the board cause when your a begginner your supposed to use a bigger board.
    It would be a good idea to set up a network of people who would like to go for a surf together say on Sundays or something - and people like yourselves and me who are starting out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fanore is a really nice beach, I do prefer it to Lahinch for a number of reasons, and it is beginner friendly. Rips and rocks are present but they're not a big deal if you have a bit of common sense. The surf schools (e.g. Aloha or Lahinch Surf School) look like good craic but I've heard poor feedback from people who have the intention of taking up surfing seriously who've had lessons with them. The pupil-teacher ratio tends to be very high and the emphasis seems to be more on having a bit of craic for the weekend rather than giving someone the best start to becoming a surfer. I've personally had a lesson with Ben's Surf Clinic in Lahinch and I found him to be excellent - only 3 people in the group, he paid attention to what I knew and gave focussed advice. With the bigger schools there just seems to be a lot of thrashing around in the water.

Having said that, friends of mine have rented gear from Aloha at Fanore before and had a great experience, so I'm certainly not complaining :)

Oh and if anyone does want to start off organised weekend trips I'd love to come along :)

cornbb wrote: »
    The surf schools (e.g. Aloha or Lahinch Surf School) look like good craic but I've heard poor feedback from people who have the intention of taking up surfing seriously who've had lessons with them. The pupil-teacher ratio tends to be very high and the emphasis seems to be more on having a bit of craic for the weekend rather than giving someone the best start to becoming a surfer.

Bit confused by this as there is only so much a surf instructor can show to a complete beginner in a first lesson. After that its up to that person to practice what he learned in the first lesson before going back for another. It's not something that can be learned through an intensive weekend of lessons, just my own opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's supposed to be a good windsurfing club somewhere in Galway I assume it's on the coast somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

GC->Hang 10 forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

ScumLord its down in rusheen bay. Very good if there is a bit of wind about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

just to add to this:
    http://www.isasurf.ie/galway-surfers/

Donnacha sends out text messages often and even does paddle sessions on off season/ weekdays in Galway (his website seems to be down for me, but I'm sure u can get thru to his mobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Bit confused by this as there is only so much a surf instructor can show to a complete beginner in a first lesson. After that its up to that person to practice what he learned in the first lesson before going back for another. It's not something that can be learned through an intensive weekend of lessons, just my own opinion of course.

Maybe you're right, I haven't had a lesson with any of the big schools myself but one or two friends of mine did and didn't feel they got enough out of it. I've no doubt they're good fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭gaffo7

hi surfers,
    tried surfin for the first time in achill recently. Was there for the half marathon with bunch of runners and we decided to try it out and have to admit i was hooked within minutes. I have vowed to try get out surfing at any opportunity and would highly recommend achill for beginners, waves not huge but great for getting started. We paid €25 for a two hour lesson but to be honest you learn as much if you just hire wetsuit and board and mess around yourself.
    anyway, first time poster here so hi to all.
    gaffo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PLRTSL

Did You get much surf since your post ME07?

I've been surfing for a couple of years but get out very rarely so haven't advanced that much. I'm based in Galway and Early saturday or sunday are the times I can get away and usually I'd head in Clare direction. Send me a private message if you're still looking for company when surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Is anybody going for surf tomorrow, possibly in the morning, in Dublin area?
    It would be first time with other board than rental foamie. I may not catch a single wave, I may not survive long in the water, but they are only reasons to join forces with somebody. Not to mention that I need to try my new underwater camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

Try surfing in keel good for begginers there but latly the waves are pretty big aroung 2.5meters to 3.8meters sadly im sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

I got a lesson off a young fella in Gtown surf school, he was very good, went out a few days later with a few experienced friends and they were impressed at how much id improved

My first time surfing i went out with my brother and he didn't teach me anything and had a ****e time and didnt want to go again, once i got the lesson and could stand up i fell in love with it, moral of the story is get a lesson from someone good before you lose faith

Advertisement