Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google 'overcorrecting' spellings

Options
  • 20-05-2009 10:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

We all know Google offer the option of a 'corrected' spelling if it thinks a word is misspelt in the search box.

However I've just discovered that for 'Centra' (the little supermarket) Google assumes 'centre' without the option of choosing (as in Did you mean: centre waterford Top 2 results shown). Try a search on centra dunmore east and see. No sign of the supermarket. I think it is overpowered by the word 'centre' in dunmore east searches. Using other towns and it's not such a problem because they don't have a strong CENTRE type business.

There is a small alert at the bottom of the search page (Tip: These results include the word "centre". Show results that include only "centra".) but most folk won't find it. Not prominent enough.

This is a problem that Google won't be aware of because it's local to Ireland. I know that putting centra in quotes will overcome it, but 95% of google users won't know that.

Anybody know how one can (reliably) alert Google to the error?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Theres a link under the searchbox at the bottom of all search pages titled "Dissatisfied? Help us improve" which takes you to a feedback form. Have you tried filling that out? I dont know if it'll make any difference but if you get a few people to fill it out Google might take notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Did that. Would you like to do same? May never see a result of course...

Advertisement