Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHICKENS

Options
  • 20-05-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Right: I'm getting chickens fairly soon but i need a question answered, maybe someone can help. I have alot of land and am thinking of getting a rooster, will there be any difference in the eggs i get? Yeild? or anything i might not be know about yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

They'l be grand, eat away. Just make sure to collect every day and not leave a hen sittin on them. Hope your lookin forward to been woke at half four every morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Thats great, lookin forward to a Rhode Island Red rooster runnin around alrite, do you have chickens? the plan is to breed some chicks for eating and egss for fryin, have to build a coop forst tho..

I do yeah, and ducks. Our rooater has been waking us up at half four for couple of weeks now which in turn gets the dog barking because he thinks theres someone out with chickens ha. There grand to keep and the excitement of the first egg is class. Just make sure to have them locked in at night as the fox would be around in a second.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Guill wrote: »
    Right: I'm getting chickens fairly soon but i need a question answered, maybe someone can help. I have alot of land and am thinking of getting a rooster, will there be any difference in the eggs i get? Yeild? or anything i might not be know about yet?

No difference only the rooster will fertilise the eggs so if a hen go clucking ( you will know what I am on about when it happens ) the fertilised eggs will hatch into chicks , without the rooster no new chicks.

The one thing you must get is electric fence netting if you are going to let them wander around. It will keeps dogs & foxes away from them & give you piece of mind.

gonna build a coop tomorrow, we have designed it to be fox proof! Ha, only time will tell, do you keep the ducks in with the chckens or keep them seperate? will the rooster attack them? i will post a pic of the coop whenever i do actually get it finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Thats great, lookin forward to a Rhode Island Red rooster runnin around alrite, do you have chickens? the plan is to breed some chicks for eating and egss for fryin, have to build a coop forst tho..

Personally, i don't eat meat but really admire people who want their meat to have a good standard of life. Fair play to you Guill, you sound like you will make your chickens and ducks very happy. I know its off topic but just wanted to say.:o

Thanks very much, i have being growing my own veg for the last couple of years and this s the next step, just a hobbie really.

Good hobby it is too:) yea my chickens are in at night wit the ducks. The shed has a wall down the middle but they stil stay in same area. When i let them out the ducks go there own way and chickens the other. Rooster and oldest hen actually hang around wit the ducks mostly. Iv never had a problem wit them fighting anyway. The rooster would go for new hens sometimes so i introduce new ones gradually. From my experience, the rooster just need time to get used to new arrivals. Suppose he's showing whos boss :) i find a lot of people have different ideas on poultry but i think its what works for you if you know what i mean. what breeds are you gettin guill?

Breed is another thing i need to look into, always fancied Rhde island Red but thats only because i've always heard of them, any recomendations?
    Do you keep many yourself? my plan is 5 chickens and maybe 3 ducks, should have more than enough eggs to feed everyone i know. My friend recently got pigs....now i want pigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

gonna build a coop tomorrow, we have designed it to be fox proof! Ha, only time will tell, do you keep the ducks in with the chckens or keep them seperate? will the rooster attack them? i will post a pic of the coop whenever i do actually get it finished.

Depends on his temperament. Sometimes cocks will protect the hens, round them up and ensure they're all in bed before it gets dark, fight off dogs, etc., and others are fairly useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Breed is another thing i need to look into, always fancied Rhde island Red but thats only because i've always heard of them, any recomendations?
    Do you keep many yourself? my plan is 5 chickens and maybe 3 ducks, should have more than enough eggs to feed everyone i know. My friend recently got pigs....now i want pigs!

Rhode Island Reds are very good layers, a good choice. Don't know how many in your house, but you will probably have loads of eggs left over to give to your neighbours.

You will need a different breed that you fatten up for eating.

Lookin at pigs myself but they seem some hardship ha ha. I have khaki cambell and india runner ducks, sussex cock and hens. Also 2 commercial hybrids, 2 welsummers and 2 Aylesbury chics. Im thinkin of a couple more hens at the mo. Wil you be gettin pullets or chicks?

Illkillya wrote: »
    Depends on his temperament. Sometimes cocks will protect the hens, round them up and ensure they're all in bed before it gets dark, fight off dogs, etc., and others are fairly useless.
    agree wit the cocks protecting his women:) mine was like that. I find that my chickens went in on there own before i got the cock.

Advertisement