Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dabs.ie

Options
  • 20-05-2009 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I bought a xerox phaser 8560 last sept, it stopped working about 2 weeks ago and I contacted dabs help chat ( they dont have a helpline) and was advised they would arrange collection. I wrapped the printer in cardboard and their courrier collected it. I have now received an e-mail telling me that it has been damaged in transit and will be returned to me. has anyone had this problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Never had it myself, but you tell Dabs that the courier caused that problem, and that they should be making use of a more reliable courier if they don't want returns damanged en route.

It's totally a problem between Dabs and the courier company they hired, absolutely nothing to do with you, ensure that they know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam Casey

recieved the following this morning

Please note you have a duty of care to ensure the parcel is sufficiently packaged for transit.
    Unfortunately this item was received back to us physically damaged due to insufficient internal packaging, this has void the warranty therefore we can no longer accept a return on this occasion.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sam Casey wrote: »

Please note you have a duty of care to ensure the parcel is sufficiently packaged for transit.
    Unfortunately this item was received back to us physically damaged due to insufficient internal packaging, this has void the warranty therefore we can no longer accept a return on this occasion.

write to dabs informing them that you had adequate packaging on the printer and that you are not accepting their explanation of how the damage occurred then get forms for the small claims court and fill them out ready to send off if dabs refuse to accept liability for what is their problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

If you only wrapped the printer in cardboard then that dosen't sound like sufficient packaging to me. I returned a video board to dabs in england after nine months and obviously didn't have the original packaging. The website was very clear in that the packaging had to be robust enough to survive courriers. I put the card in an empty cornflakes box and put that in a box from a pc tower chasis! It was complete overkill but I got credited for the dodgy video board. I think your beef is with the courier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's complex. You didn't hire the courier, so you legally have no come-back with them. You are not their client, dabs is.

Dabs (and most companies) make it clear that you should "sufficiently package the item for transit". However, what actually defines "sufficient" ???

Personally, I always go overboard with packaging too, when returning an item. But that's just me.

I'm really not sure what you can do in this situation.

• Advertisement

Mentioned small claims court in e-mail got following reply

Apologies however our decision stands, the lack of internal packaging has resulted in the physical damage of the item.
    We have taken photographs for our records and are happy to supply these to a third party if necessary.

Once again my apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I think you should be talking to the courier. I know you didn't hire them but the goods they were carrying are yours. Ask dabs to forward photos and attach to a mail to the courrier company. When they accepted the package I think they accepted liability for its safekeeping. If they were unhappy with the packaging, they should have refused to accept the goods until you repackaged. I would bet my left testi that they are insured anyway. When the printer is returned refuse to accept it as it is not in the condition you gave it to them in. Write this clearly on anything they ask you to sign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

docmol wrote: »
    I think you should be talking to the courier. When the printer is returned refuse to accept it as it is not in the condition you gave it to them in. Write this clearly on anything they ask you to sign.

Very very good point. Sounds like a very good plan of action there, which may be the best way to get this resolved.

I am not sure, dabs took charge of the arrangements for returning the printer and employed the courrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Point here is that Dabs shouldn't have accepted it from the courier if it wasn't in good condition. When Dabs return it to you, you can refuse it from the courier, as it has not been treated well by them, and you can then claim for the cost of the printer from the courier, as it is their fault it has been damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I find this quite funny coming from Dabs considering that anytime I've ordered from them the packaging the item arrived in was awful. It's the main reason I don't order from them anymore.

The last time it was external hard drive and they had flung it into a giant box (the size a computer would fit in) with a single bit of tape keeping it closed. I was amazed it survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

it does sound like u just threw it in a cardboard box and didnt bother to cushion it properly etc so ur probably party responsible

although they fcuked up at their end by accepting a smashed item and thats why they are probably trying to put the blame back onto you as the couriors wont entertain their claim if they signed for a smashed item

the main thing now is to make sure you dont sign for the smashed item when they try to send it back

I find this quite funny coming from Dabs considering that anytime I've ordered from them the packaging the item arrived in was awful. It's the main reason I don't order from them anymore.

The last time it was external hard drive and they had flung it into a giant box (the size a computer would fit in) with a single bit of tape keeping it closed. I was amazed it survived.

thats really weird ,they send me a tiny item in a giant box once as well

when i went to collect it at the depot i thought they were giving me the wrong item since i ordered a harddrive and it came in box the girl could barely get her arms around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Had a similar case with a laptop from Dabs, was just floating around inside a big box, no real packing used.

Anyway, did you put the printer in a box, or just wrap cardboard around it? If you used no padding or packing material, then the courier may not be responsible for the damage. There isn't much they can do if there was no effort made on your part. As such, their insurance wouldn't cover it, and Dabs could not be held liable either.

There is a burden of responsibility on any sender to adequately protect anything going into transit, regardless of who actually pays for the courier. I don't think the Small Claims Court would find in your favour if the packing is as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

delllat wrote: »
    although they fcuked up at their end by accepting a smashed item and thats why they are probably trying to put the blame back onto you as the couriors wont entertain their claim if they signed for a smashed item

I'm no fan of Dabs.ie (who claim I still owe them money after a long ordeal ending in a chargeback), but going on what I read here, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Firstly, if Dabs said to their courier Parcel 1234 was damaged in transit, we want £987 please, the courier would put that through insurance and make sure the Dabs contract was kept sweet. There might be a small bit of haggling, but you can be sure Dabs would have the final say.

Secondly, Dabs had to accept the return because they weren't to know what level of damage there was, or who it was caused by. For example, they might be accepting a printer that was damaged in original delivery that was now being returned.

Thirdly, whilst ringing the courier (even though you are not the customer, just the consignee) might get you help in locating your package, I've found they are very quick to hang up when you query any damage/loss/theft (directing you to the consignor/Dabs).

Lastly, you have an obligation to make sure the package is sufficiently packed. Who decides that? A judge at the end of the day, if it gets that far. Until then, it's about being reasonable. Wrapping expensive electronic equipment in cardboard, and a bit of tape, doesn't cut the mustard (and the proof is that you're extremely unlikely to ever have received it in that condition). Foam/bubble-rap padding it and reinforcing the corners, edges and seals would be more like it. Did you, the OP, do that (or was it just a bit of cardboard, as your post suggests)?

How you wrapped it would determine who's in the right/wrong here, and who is now liable. From your description, it's not entirely clear.

cgarvey wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Dabs.ie (who claim I still owe them money after a long ordeal ending in a chargeback), but going on what I read here, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Firstly, if Dabs said to their courier Parcel 1234 was damaged in transit, we want £987 please, the courier would put that through insurance and make sure the Dabs contract was kept sweet. There might be a small bit of haggling, but you can be sure Dabs would have the final say.

Secondly, Dabs had to accept the return because they weren't to know what level of damage there was, or who it was caused by. For example, they might be accepting a printer that was damaged in original delivery that was now being returned.

Thirdly, whilst ringing the courier (even though you are not the customer, just the consignee) might get you help in locating your package, I've found they are very quick to hang up when you query any damage/loss/theft (directing you to the consignor/Dabs).

Lastly, you have an obligation to make sure the package is sufficiently packed. Who decides that? A judge at the end of the day, if it gets that far. Until then, it's about being reasonable. Wrapping expensive electronic equipment in cardboard, and a bit of tape, doesn't cut the mustard (and the proof is that you're extremely unlikely to ever have received it in that condition). Foam/bubble-rap padding it and reinforcing the corners, edges and seals would be more like it. Did you, the OP, do that (or was it just a bit of cardboard, as your post suggests)?

How you wrapped it would determine who's in the right/wrong here, and who is now liable. From your description, it's not entirely clear.

its in the couriors best interests to keep insurance claims to a minmum as they probably get kickbacks and cheaper policy renewals if they put less claims in

thats why its best practice to never sign for a smashed item and if you really must sign for it make sure you sign that that the item was damaged on the docket

I have dealt a lot with smashed items and if you recieve a mangled item and dont tell anyone straightaway its very difficult to put a claim in

hence time is of the essence !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I bought a xerox phaser 8560 last sept, it stopped working about 2 weeks ago and I contacted dabs help chat ( they dont have a helpline) and was advised they would arrange collection.
    Did they say, at any time during the conversation you had with them, that you had to pack the printer? If not, would it therefore mean that you thought "arrange collection" included packaging?
    I have now received an e-mail telling me that it has been damaged in transit and will be returned to me. has anyone had this problem
    As above: did they tell you to package the product correctly, or on how to package it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Firstly, OP, if you did not wrap the printer in proper protection (cardboard is not enough) then they can refuse to fix it since it not there fault it is now even more damaged plus the courier company can also say it was not packed properly thus is all comes back to the sender.

Second, I have found Dabs to be one of the best companies out there for customer service. Their website is excellent for ordering off of and the fact that someone will call to pick up returned items is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

axer wrote: »
    Firstly, OP, if you did not wrap the printer in proper protection (cardboard is not enough) then they can refuse to fix it since it not there fault it is now even more damaged plus the courier company can also say it was not packed properly thus is all comes back to the sender.

Second, I have found Dabs to be one of the best companies out there for customer service. Their website is excellent for ordering off of and the fact that someone will call to pick up returned items is great.

I second this. I had to return a flatscreen monitor after 9 months. They sent an email saying to pack it well, and they they would send a courier. This was refreshing after being used to eBay where you have to pay return shipping. Got a box from supermarket, bought polystyrene filling, packed it up and took photos. Didn't have manuals/CDs any more. Ignoring problems with the incompetent couriers not picking up when they said they would, I had a full refund credited to me within a week of pickup.

In future, take photos of the item before you pack it, as you pack it and when it's packed. This way you have proof that it was in good condition and packed sufficiently.

Advertisement