Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs ears. Good or bad?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I was just wondering if pigs ears are ok for dogs? I've heard they're good for dogs as they don't have any additives to them. Bessie loves them and I give her one every 2-3 days but I was wondering what way are they cooked? Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mine get one about once a week, only thing is not sure if there is any added salt in them. They do make them thirsty but so do all dry treats. Wouldn't give them to dogs that are over weight but for a regular pooch don't see the problem. They are crunchy but don't splinter I gave up rawhide chews for the dogs years ago because I found they would get caught in their throats.

Never any problems with the pigs ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The article of that other thread was from Canada where farming methods are very different. More chemicals etc used there.

We were given a couple of pigs trotters a while back; for US to eat, but the dogs enjoyed them after a few days of wondering what they were. we found them in various places:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I probably wouldn't give them as often as 2-3 days as they're quite fatty, but maybe that's just me, heh. You could look into cows ears too, they're pretty similar but much lower in fat, and supposed to be chewier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I bought cows ears on zooplus.co.uk after reading that they were lower in fat, it took my dog a while to get a taste for them after being used to the pigs ears but now she loves them and gets one every week for a treat. They are good value and she gets a good long chew out of them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Most of the rawhide, ears etc treats are sprayed in fat to make them more tempting. It doesn't agree with our dog's digestive system, but if your pooch is doing ok. Don't see why you shouldn't treat them. They do keep them occupied for a good amount of time.

Advertisement