Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QUESTION TO EVERYONE regarding purebreeds/dog shows ect

Options
  • 19-05-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Why do people buy dogs??? I know some people like certain breeds, like me, I love Old English Sheepdogs but I wouldnt buy one...

There are so many dogs in dog homes and pounds all around the country that need loving homes and there free... I rescued two beautiful collie x, and there are the best dogs iv ever had, I rescued a flee infested, dirty ugly little thing years ago that nobody wanted and after a wash n tidy up he ended up another great dog...

Purebreed dogs are going to be fed and looked after and most of them will always have a home, but the poor lil moggies in the pound will be put to sleep....

I just think people should think before they buy... it makes me kinda angry, theres something like 30,000 dogs put to sleep every year and thats not including the ones that are drowned at birth, ones that are left on the side of the road and killed and the ones that are shot by there owners.

As for dog shows and the kennel club people, what is the point, you get a dog as a companion for you and your family, to pet when your feeling lonely, have you ever felt down and your dog cuddles up beside you and instantly you feel better because no matter what your doggie will always love you, and ya cant beat them sloppy kisses... your dog doesnt get anything out of being paraded around infront of hundreds of people... dogs are not about making money...

Sorry about the rant, but that programme lastnite really p***ed me off and i needed to say something, i know a lot of people will disagree and i hoping some will agree but please give me your views regardless and thanks for listening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

because buying a purbred dog people know the general temperment, character, size, groooming requirements, exercise needed, feeding....the list gos on!and they can work with their lifestyle to find a breed suited for them!going to a pound you know nothing much!i have a rescue dog by the way it just gets annoying when this is brought up in forum non stop!some people want a certain breed its there choice.

(and sorry i dont mean to come across rude)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

cos!! wrote: »
    because buying a purbred dog people know the general temperment, character, size, groooming requirements, exercise needed, feeding....the list gos on!and they can work with their lifestyle to find a breed suited for them!going to a pound you know nothing much!i have a rescue dog by the way it just gets annoying when this is brought up in forum non stop!some people want a certain breed its there choice.

(and sorry i dont mean to come across rude)

Ditto, the reasons you have described above are why when i got a dog recently i didnt go to a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

cos.. i can see where your coming from, but im a dog groomer and most of the pure breeds we get in are evil, always growling and biting... but alot of them aren't aswell.... if you go to the pound, you know by looking at a dog if it needs grooming, and how much food/exercise it requires ect...

and another thing, we have a lot of pure breeds come into use at work and the majority of them do not be groomed, today (for example) we had a bijon frise, they need to be brushed every day, this dog doesnt even get walked, we also had in a westy, 18 months old and never even washed, i really am not joking when i say most people do not look after there dogs....

im sory to be ranting on but i work with these dogs, they are much harder work than a moggie...

Calhoun, what type of dog did you get, just out of curiosity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

One of the best dogs we ever had was from a pound, a rescue dog. But she'd been a pedigree (we found out after she passed). Poor thing had been horribly mistreated. She was the kindest soul you'd ever meet.

We tried a golden cocker spaniel (pedigree), that didn't work out, he was too big and boistrous for us.
    We tried a rescue yorksire terrier, that didn't work out, he would attack my mother and sisters.
    We tried a rescue ... um... some other breed I can't recall, that too didn't work out.

So, I went back to the breed that we did best with - the Lhasa Apso (that we'd rescued all those years ago). I found one 2 years old with a couple up in Cavan who were moving and couldn't keep her, pedigree dog though, just not show quality (so they said). And she (Lily) is great, lovely temperment, similar to our old dog Fifi (the rescue Lhasa that passed away years ago). I decided to get a pal for Lily, and I searched for a Lhasa Apso pup (a pup would be easier to introduce) and we found Daisy, again pedigree Lhasa and an absolute character.

Both are adorable and well fixed into the family. Another note is that my mother is scared of most dogs, but I knew she was comfortable with Fifi, so in choosing another dog I didn't want to have to keep handing back dogs, that's unfair on them. So I went with the same breed, and she's fine with them, she feels safe and they feel safe with her.

My friend has a mongrel Indy that they've had from a pup for the past.... 12/13 years, he's brilliant and part of their family.

I don't judge a dog by it's pedigree but by it's nature. If it so happens the nature comes with a pedigree, then so be it.

• Advertisement

star pants thanks for your comment, i agree with what you say... and dont get me wrong im not against pure breed dogs atall, all dogs are beautiful....

am i right in saying your dog is a bit like a ****uz?? we get a few of these and they have a great temperment as do ****uz's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

No I understand where you're coming from, I was in tears at the programme last night. Just as others said, there's nothing wrong with wanting a pedigree dog and/or wanting to take part in shows. It's the rules and regulations and certain breeders/show-people that cause some of these bad issues. The show highlighted that not everyone's like this. Some dogs enjoy the shows/ playing around. Some people truely love their dogs too.

Yup, lhasa apsos are a tibetan dog, similar to a shítzu or a maltese. Seems in Tibet they're just called Apsos, westerners call them Lhasa apsos as they are from Lhasa area.

Calhoun, what type of dog did you get, just out of curiosity??

Got a golden cocker female, shes a good little pup when she wants to be and a terror when shes in the mood :). Working hard with her to get her potty trained and lease trained before we take her out on walking ect.

To clarify she is a pet, wont be for show or anything like and the breeder wasnt a puppy farmer. It was their first littler with their dog and after looking after 7 pups for 8 weeks i dont think they would ever do it again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have both, I have purebreeds and mutts. Some of my purebreeds are rescue dogs, so don't assume that all dogs in the pounds are crosses.

I don't show my dogs, I have no interest in that, but I do work them, which is what they are bred to do and they need the exercise:D However, as far as I'm aware, nobody makes money winning shows, I believe even the winner of Crufts only gets £50. It is an expensive hobby I believe, as you have to pay to enter every show. I don't mean to be rude, but I think thats a huge generalisation that dogs are companions, people have dogs for all sorts of different reasons. Most guide dogs are labs, obviously thats been decided because of the breed traits, yes, there are some crosses I'm sure that are assistance dogs, but generally not.

I love rescue dogs, but I also think that people have the right to get a purebreed dog if they want one, whether that be from a responsible breeder or from a specific breed rescue. BTW, dogs from rescues and pounds aren't free, if rescues didn't get donations to cover the cost of neutering, vaccination etc, they couldn't exist and the pounds charge a release fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Mongrels all the way!

So many beautiful dogs with amazing tempermants are in pounds every year, 1,800 dogs are put down in county Clare a year! Compared to only 600 in the whole of Britain a year! If a dog is brought into a pound or shelter the workers will ask them for info about the dog, is it good with kids and people etc., some dogs that are found they don't know what they are like but there are plenty of dogs that they do know are perfect dogs, so not knowing what the dogs temp is going to be like isn't an excuse for not adopting a dog in need.

Of course working dogs need to be a certain breed but it shouldn't matter to someone who only wants a companion dog. Some people only want some breeds because of their looks, which is a shame.

• Advertisement

star pants i agree with what your saying, its not the show i have the issue with its the rules ect like you said...calhoun, your in for some fun with that dog, there mad with energy, its good to see your training her early with the coller and lead cos most dogs freek when you put them on, i love when people look after ther dogs... best of luck with the pup...ISWD... most people get ther dogs as companions and i never paid for my dogs... yes people do give donations to the dog homes... our local SPCA neutering and vaccination and dont look for a fee but the difference is there not a national SPCA, they have a second hand clothes shop which pays the fees... im not saying people cant get purebreed dogs, everyone has a mind of there own, all im saying is people who dont care what dog they get could consider rehoming an unwanted pet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

ISDW wrote: »
    However, as far as I'm aware, nobody makes money winning shows, I believe even the winner of Crufts only gets £50. It is an expensive hobby I believe, as you have to pay to enter every show.

The money comes after when the winner is either selling jumps from their dog or puppies from their bitches. Charging thousands for a pup and I've heard of breeders charging upwards of £2000 in England for a jump.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Not all show dogs turn into stud dogs or breeding bitches by the way. Not all dogs are suitable for breeding.

Just because someone wants to own a pedigree dog doesnt make them love their dogs any less than someone who owns a cross breed.
    I own a rottweiler that i show. Hes my first rottie and hes my life. I do everything with him and he means the world to me. Ive always loved rottweilers and couldnt wait to get my first one and did so 2 and half yrs ago. I decided to show him for a bit of fun and ive been hooked since my first show, its a great day out and you meet lots of people who have a similar interest and love as you.
    Dog showing is a hobbie like any other hobbie, its an interest and a fun activity to do with your dog.

Now i show him and we both love it, apart from the actual competition, theres a whole social side to it, ive met many of my very good friends through dog showing, its a day out and great fun for both dog and owner.

Theres nothing but pride really when you win, theres no money in it, we would spend a lot more money entering shows and getting to them, and when you win you would get a rosette and some dog food. You always take the best dog home though even if you dont win.

calhoun, your in for some fun with that dog, there mad with energy, its good to see your training her early with the coller and lead cos most dogs freek when you put them on, i love when people look after ther dogs... best of luck with the pup.QUOTE]

Thanks :) she is full of energy already its though trying to tire her out as we cant take her out yet until we get her fully vaccinated but at least we can use the time to potty trainer her.

She doest freak out with the lead so much any more and walks around with it happily. I havent been able to walk her around with it quite yet as shes not used to the lease but will get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Why do people buy dogs???

Oooh no one buys dogs anymore, wolf hybrids are the hot new trend this season! :rolleyes:

I think if you need a dog for a specific working purpose, e.g. herding, protecting your property, etc, then go ahead and get a breed specificially bred for that purpose. But I think for the average Joe who just wants a pet, a mix or mongrel would do just fine. Prices for dogs are crazy, upwards of 2,000 for an English Bulldog and you saw what's gone wrong with them in that programme :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Please with all your questions you re PB dogs - you forget one little thing.

Demand regulates supply. Ireland is FULL of puppy millers (the law being insufficient to regulate) and irresponsible BYB out for a quick buck. And they can only make a quick buck if some idiot is prepared to pay out the money.

It appears there is a sucker born every minute ;).

I do not agree with the statement:
    I think if you need a dog for a specific working purpose, e.g. herding, protecting your property, etc, then go ahead and get a breed specificially bred for that purpose. But I think for the average Joe who just wants a pet, a mix or mongrel would do just fine.

I am owned by APBT and I am not a dogfighter, I am owned by Lurchers and I am not a hunter and last but not least, I am owned by and Otterhound and that I do not hunt Otters is something I hope I do not have to mention especially.

There is a reason why close breeding isn't allowed BY LAW in humans yet it appears to be perfectly acceptable in animals.

The whole issue is like the recession to me: COME ON! YOU MUST HAVE SEEN IT COMING!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why would somebody have their own children when there are millions of orphans living in extreme poverty?

Why do people spend their disposable money on fun stuff instead of giving it all to charity?

People are free to make their own choices, some people want a specific type of dog, perhaps of a specific age. Some people feel intimidated by homechecks and assessments. Some people want a dog they know the history of. Some people don't want neutered pets for whatever reason.

If you wish to rescue a dog that's great, but you don't get to criticise people who want a new puppy. As long as they do their research on the breeder they buy from. I have two dogs, atm, one was bought from a breeder the other was re-homed. I love each dog equally, they both have their individual good and bad traits. I decided on getting each dog the way I did because that was what suited me at the time. The next time I get a dog I will be doing whatever works out at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Why do manufacturers make cars in so many different colours/models etc etc.

People have different views, opinions likes and dislikes, thank god or we'd all be robots.

Some people research into dogs before they buy,breed and read books etc, some don't.
    Each to their own.

If you were to actually buy a good book on dogs and read up a bit on their history you would see all these questions answered for you. I have a good one I bought years ago and my kids started off by looking at all the lovely pictures before they could read it, now they read it. I also encourage them to watch many programs on telly to educate them on these things so that whether or not they become animal lovers or not they have a store of information to draw on to be responsible too.

I was bringing home stray/injured animals of all discription and wild dogs when I was a child and through the years have known/worked many different dogs. But I always wanted a Boxer cos boxers just "do" it for me. So when I was grown up and I could afford it I bought my first boxer.

Pedigree dogs are expensive, but there is a lot of work and money to spend out to produce the pups. My opinion is if you can't afford to buy it you can't afford to look after it. People will get mongrel pups for nothing or cheap, then they won't spay/neuter, won't stop them roaming cos either they can't afford to fence their yards of they just don't care where the dog is. This in turn fuels the dog problem as these dogs are going around mating with any other dog they can find.

How many people have been plagued by dogs hanging around their houses or coming into their yards when their bitch is in season.

I personally don't feel dog pounds are a great place for dogs to be. I've seen battersea dogs home and to be honest I think it's a cruel environment for dogsto be so maybe they are better of being put to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Please read the other threads posted about puppyfarms / sick dogs and Watch this tonight - pedigree dogs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

cloudy day wrote: »
    How many people have been plagued by dogs hanging around their houses or coming into their yards when their bitch is in season.

I think this is fairly rare but two of my parents' male dogs have attracted bitches. About 10 years ago two different bitches used to come up the laneway that leads to our garden to attract our old dog Dodge. And last month my parents came back from holiday to find a bitch sitting in the laneway making eyes at Rosco.:confused:

As bad as allowing any dog to wander is, I really can't get my head around the fact that someone would allow their bitch in heat out alone.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Purebreed dogs are going to be fed and looked after and most of them will always have a home, but the poor lil moggies in the pound will be put to sleep....

A hell of a lot of purebred dogs also end up homeless/impounded, the number of breed rescues in operation prove that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"I personally don't feel dog pounds are a great place for dogs to be. I've seen battersea dogs home and to be honest I think it's a cruel environment for dogsto be so maybe they are better of being put to sleep."

Isn't Battersea dogs home a rescue type rather than a pound and the dogs are re homed from there so it's not as if they are going to spend the rest of their lives there.

If pounds just randomly put dogs to sleep then if your pet goes missing and turns up there then you'd never have a hope of getting it back. Pounds aren't a great place for dogs to be but at least they have food shelter and water while they are there and the chance of being re claimed or taken out by a rescue depending on the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Arcadian wrote: »
    A hell of a lot of purebred dogs also end up homeless/impounded, the number of breed rescues in operation prove that!

Yes, very true, I have taken in countless purebreds, even quite rare ones like Frenchies and Bracco Italiano. Being purebred and/or very expensive doesn't prevent a dog from ending up in rescue. I've rehomed over 1000 dogs and I'd say app. 40 percent of them were PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Not neccessarily true Crafty... there are a huge amount of purebreeds in rescues and pounds all over the country all the time. The most common are Labs, German Shepherds, Collies, Jack Russells, Staffies. And yes there are plenty of crossbreeds- usually Collie Xs and Terrier Xs. But I think you could be wrong in saying that the PBs would be looked after and the crossbreeds would be destroyed. From my experience, the crossbreeds are homed from the pound faster than the PBs.

Sorry about the rant, but that programme lastnite really p***ed me off and i needed to say something, i know a lot of people will disagree and i hoping some will agree but please give me your views regardless and thanks for listening.
    I understand how mad you are- I was too when I saw it, it was aired about 7 or 8 months ago and it was debated at length on animal forums all over the net. And all this time later, I'm still disgusted and still angry. But lashing out generally at anyone who shows their dog is a little unfair. The good loving showdog owners far outweigh the bad ones. And the dogs can and do enjoy it! The training and discipline is very good for them.....the showring is the one place you wouldn't see a badly behaved, out of control, aggressive, pulling, lunging, barking, unhappy, frustrated dog....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

....the showring is the one place you wouldn't see a badly behaved, out of control, aggressive, pulling, lunging, barking, unhappy, frustrated dog....;)

All that behavior makes perfect sense if they are working dogs in a pack.
    Bit of aggression is kept in check by pack order.
    Pulling and dragging is what they are for.
    Be glad of aggression on tap x 10 when you see a bear.
    Howl for happiness , frustrated when no work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Oops, I didn't mean to imply that just one dog would exhibit all that behaviour...but maybe one dog exhibiting just one or two of the behaviours

Advertisement