Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid-Afternoon Slump

Options
  • 19-05-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Let me just preface this by stating I am not looking for medical advice, just interested in other people's experiences and opinions of this.

Over the last while I've noticed that from about 14.00 to 15.30 I feel really tired, sometimes to the point where I drift off to sleep. How much sleep I get the night before has no effect on this, nor does what I am doing. It's not so much of a problem at the weekends as I can take a nap or just veg out, but at work it's really effecting my productivity. The weird thing is that no matter how tired I feel in the afternoon, it always passes after an hour or so, even if I don't get a nap or whatever, and by evening time I usually feel grand.

I'm not sure what causes this, and I've tried a few things to prevent it (coffee and lucozade mainly), but nothing seems to work. Ideally I'd love to be able to take a 20 minute nap every afternoon, but for various reasons this is just not possible at work.

Anyone else experience this, and anyone have any tips for preventing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Wreck wrote: »
    Let me just preface this by stating I am not looking for medical advice, just interested in other people's experiences and opinions of this.

Over the last while I've noticed that from about 14.00 to 15.30 I feel really tired, sometimes to the point where I drift off to sleep. How much sleep I get the night before has no effect on this, nor does what I am doing. It's not so much of a problem at the weekends as I can take a nap or just veg out, but at work it's really effecting my productivity. The weird thing is that no matter how tired I feel in the afternoon, it always passes after an hour or so, even if I don't get a nap or whatever, and by evening time I usually feel grand.

I'm not sure what causes this, and I've tried a few things to prevent it (coffee and lucozade mainly), but nothing seems to work. Ideally I'd love to be able to take a 20 minute nap every afternoon, but for various reasons this is just not possible at work.

Anyone else experience this, and anyone have any tips for preventing it?

Isn't this just the normal slump after a heavy lunch...look at what you're eating, is it the type of food that takes a lot of digesting. Your stomach and intestines take a lot of energy to process some foods such that the rest of you feels the lack of energy....but yes its just temporary and normal. Eat lighter maybe, salads, soups etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

i get that if i skip breakfast and double up on lunch as a result........

spread the food out and healthily snack more.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I used to experience this allot.
    I found after a few simple changes to my diet I was fine again.

I now drink water more regularly, I eat no chocolate what so ever, and a high fibre breakfast. After that its pretty regular :D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm the same as the OP, but not every day. When it happens it's always after lunch usually around 3 pm. I work in front of a PC all day which may not help, but I could never figure out what causes it or how to fix it. Took some of those multi bionta things for a bit but didn't do any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Try and drink more water. There is also the chance of a health reason such as hypoglycemia or the onset of diabetes. More than likely though it is not drinking enough water or your diet (including eating a heavy meal instead of something easier to digest).

If dehydration is the problem coffee and lucazade (if the red bottle) are not helping the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Heavy meals will drain your energy, when coupled with tiring work it can really bring you down. What are you eating for lunch? I ate a massive burger and fries after a sport tournament before and was nodding off to sleep in the pub after! Likewise the other day I skipped breakfast and ate a big lunch in work, cue the next hour or so of me floating around feeling like I'd just gotten out of bed.

You didn't mention what food you eat so I'm just rolling on what others have said. You could always try a Red Bull and see what effect that has. It stops your brain from releasing the chemical/thingy that makes you sleepy :P Not a long term solution obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

More than likely its a heavy lunch bringing this on but just wondering if you smoke??

I used to have the exact same thing, luckily for me I work on the road and would just pull in and have a 20/30min nap. I'd still feel drained after it though.

I'm always on and off the smokes but when I'm off the smokes this never happens, and I'm always full of beans.....hmmmm maybe I should just stay off them!

Advertisement