Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humpy, humpy, humpy.

Options
  • 19-05-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

As I type, my 7 month old pup is parttaking in one of her favourite activities: humping Percy, her stuffed polar bear.

She has it down to a fine art now and seems to have worked her way around the doggy kama sutra- poor Percy is currently squashed against the base of the couch and Lucy is straddling him from behind.

She doesn't hump anything or anyone else. She tried humping my leg once, months ago, but I very firmly told her "no" and put her into a submissive position and it hasn't happened since.

My question is this- should I stop her from humping Percy? She's not a very dominant or aggressive dog and she's a small breed so I don't think we're going to have issues with her in future. She just seems to really, erm, enjoy Percy.

If there isn't a dominance/aggression issue, is there any other downside to allowing her to continue? Apart form the embarrassment factor when someone else is around, that is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

simple solution: let Percy go on holiday for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The dog's just getting it's tension out and not harming anyone or another dog.

You could get it neutered if you want but personally I wouldn't until he starts going overboard and going for other people/other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Brimmy wrote: »
    The dog's just getting it's tension out and not harming anyone or another dog.

You could get it neutered if you want but personally I wouldn't until he starts going overboard and going for other people/other dogs.

actually that is bad advice - you don't want it to get to the stage where she is as you quote "going for other people/other dogs". Something that starts out as something small can quiet easily escalate and become a bigger problem to solve.

If you have no intentions of breeding her then for her sake I would have her neutered, it will cut down on her frustration as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tension/frustration/dominance/aggression .....

pfff.....

The doggy is a "teenager" in the first throws of a hormonal imbalance/adjustment and about to develop a bad habit

Take the bloomin stuffed icebear away and stop the habit from forming.

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Our wee Jack Russell/Basset cross sometimes tries this with our rescued collie. Both female and both spayed.

She is the smaller dog, and she was here first.

"NO" works well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

I presume from her name Lucy is a bitch.

How is she humping percy? Is she humping him like a bitch?

If she's humping him like I bitch I'm fairly impressed with her dexterity & I'd love to see a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sorry i laughed at the description of poor Percy being violated everyday by Lucy :D:D
    Do as Peasant said take the toy off her...although she might progress to cushions like my dog did...and..eh..im embarrassed to say she still partakes in a bit of cushion-lovin every now and again. Shes spayed and....shes 13 go figure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

:D
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Sorry i laughed at the description of poor Percy being violated everyday by Lucy :D:D
    Do as Peasant said take the toy off her...although she might progress to cushions like my dog did...and..eh..im embarrassed to say she still partakes in a bit of cushion-lovin every now and again. Shes spayed and....shes 13 go figure!!!

Advertisement