Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult leaving cert

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

How long does it take to complete if an adult goes back to repeat the leaving cert at night while keeping there current job?

Are Irish English and Maths compulsory?

How difficult is it to achieve 600 points if one applies themselves and works hard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wigsa

How long does it take to complete if an adult goes back to repeat the leaving cert at night while keeping there current job?

Are Irish English and Maths compulsory?

How difficult is it to achieve 600 points if one applies themselves and works hard?

I presume you're foreign if you're asking questions like that.My advice is give up on it now,it'll take 7 or 8 years part time to get through the full amount of work and it take a bit of genius to get 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Irish, English and Maths are compulsory but you could do 7 subjects and leave the weakest out of results.
    If you really applies yourself, I reckon you could do it in two years. Do the course with some college. 3/4 subjects per year and then take the exam in the 2nd year. You'd want to be doing some studying though.
    Id say you'd work/study/sleep and do feck all else in those two years though. Nothing is Impossible.

What are you looking to do?
    If its going back to college and you're over 23 you could qualify as a Mature Student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Depending where you are on the 'ability to retain information parrot style' scale, which has nothing to do with intelligence it could take anything from 9 months to 9 years to complete the leaving cert and gain 600 points. All of the repeat leaving cert courses start in september and end the following may and many students take up new subjects which they complete in 1 year.

The percentage of students who get 600 points and then the different ranges 550-600, 500-550 etc are on the net somewhere

if you are repeating in order to obtain a college place then maths is compulsory for most courses. Sometimes then you may have a choice between passing irish or english. It all depends on the college. Some may require a foreign language as well and there may be specific course requirements like a HC3 in chemistry for example.

There's no reason why you can't get very high points (maybe not 600) in june 2010 if you start studying now and enrol on a course in september. Go to www.examinations.ie to see the past papers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IrelandaSA

Hi,

Got a good leaving except for my Irish would like to sit it again next year. Any advice for adult?

Advertisement