Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How in God's name do €4.99 barbers make money?!?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi, noticed a barber in town advertising €4.99 haircuts, went in and sure enough, the Polish lad there did it in 15 minutes for €4.99. My question is if the average cost to rent a location in this area is €500 a week (I asked around), how does this fella make any money?!? Around 17 haircuts a day to just break even, by my 6 day logic. Any thoughts about if he's the smartest business man ever or will he be closed in a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Hi, noticed a barber in town advertising €4.99 haircuts, went in and sure enough, the Polish lad there did it in 15 minutes for €4.99. My question is if the average cost to rent a location in this area is €500 a week (I asked around), how does this fella make any money?!? Around 17 haircuts a day to just break even, by my 6 day logic. Any thoughts about if he's the smartest business man ever or will he be closed in a week?

if hes recently negeotiated his lease it could be lower than 500 a week

some of the faster sheep shearers can have you bald in 5-10 minutes

thats 30- 60 quid an hour if you can get enough heads hence the 4.99 to generate the heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Sound like he is a cut above the rest :)

Well fair play to him . I'd say he does more than 17 a day. Whats that other chain in town that do them real cheap aswell?

Edit: http://www.justcuts.ie/ €7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

At a fiver a head, you'd be lucky not to get your ears cut off. Even if he did 17 heads every day, 7 days a week @ a fiver, it's a fairly poor return (c 600eur) and lets be honest probably uneconomical in the long term.

The only other way I could see him making money would be if he was selling other complementary products etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It only takes 5-10 minutes for me to get a hair cut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Still, 4.99 or no 4.99, I'm a fan of paying a decent price for a nice cut....like you wear your hair every day FFS. I'd only go into a place charging €12+....call me a snob if you like.
    All that business will get are soverign wearing Creamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

could be a couple of reasons

1. It's a short time promotion to get customers who hopefully will return.
    I cut my own hair now but I always went to the same barber for years.

2. Cashflow, he might need money to pay bills right now, not worried about making a profit (lots of people doing this at the moment)

3. Low cost is a proven sales strategy, he will have to keep his operating costs low, get a large number of customers and get the haircuts done quickly.

You get a €5 haircut, your more focused on price than quality so a quick 10 minute job will do.
    You get a €20 haircut, you want it done exactly how you like it, washed before hand, probably take twice as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

20 euro hair cut takes 1 hr in the Grafton barbers.
    How many 5 euro hair cuts can he do in that time considering he's going to have a much bigger customer base with the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

I'd only go into a place charging €12+....call me a snob if you like.
    All that business will get are soverign wearing Creamers.

I pay about €45 for mine so no, I won't call you a snob....

People who aren't overly fussy about their hair will go to him which probably means that there'll be a lot of people getting their heads shaved which takes very little time to do compared to a proper cut.

I'm also assuming that you won't get your hair washed for that price....

Maybe he charges more during busy hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Scien wrote: »
    You should post that in Bargain Alerts by the way. €4.99 haircuts. Sweet.

Even better deal on Tuesday, Knights on Grafton Street were giving away free haircuts!!! Looks like the bubble's burst on barbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

And sure a euro or two in tips is always welcomed I'm sure :)

His model is spreading anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

I'm sure he worked it out. I suppose the logic would go like this. 15 mins per cut. That's 4 per hour. If he works 10 hours a day that makes 40 haircuts a day. If he works a 7 day week. That's 280 hair cuts a week. At full capacity he makes €1,397.20 per week. Take away the €500 rent and he has €897.20 to pay himself and other expenses.

I know he must operate at full capacity.

Welcome to the recession folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Not completely clear if there is only one staff member. If there was say 3 guys operating at full capacity then he would be taking in €4200 per week, still only has the €500 rent...so €3700, pay two staff members a total of about €800...he's left with €2900 to pay himself and his other (non rent) expenses!

Advertisement