Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostly-museum-image-caught-on-film

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Cool.Its a pretty picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Suppose it's as good as any ghostly picture you'll see .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

that's a cool picture.....I would'nt like to be working there at night time:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When I see pictures like this, the cynic in me always asks why they were taking such an uninteresting picture in the first place.

That said, it is interesting, but Id like to hear feedback from a poster with photographic knowledge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Oryx wrote: »
    When I see pictures like this, the cynic in me always asks why they were taking such an uninteresting picture in the first place.

That said, it is interesting, but Id like to hear feedback from a poster with photographic knowledge. :)

Well he is a photographer with the BBC,he says he doesnt believe in ghosts but concedes it is strange.
    Also,I think what people find interesting is down to taste.
    I take these things with a pinch of salt but one can be too cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Actually its not that uninteresting picture when you see a better version of it. In fact its very cool.

article-0-04FDB0C3000005DC-615_634x324.jpg

Here's a closer look:

1o9dl49tp6gcdwcra831.jpg

And here is the man they believe it to be:

image.jpg

Nothing can really be determined based on one photo but its definitely interesting - one of the most interesting in recent years I'd say.

Thanks 6th, that original is a gorgeous shot, and puts the whole thing in a new light. Very cool, in both ways. :)

What you reckon on that streaming effect out through the door?

I dont know what to make of it tbh. It has me a little stumped and not wanting to say either way. It appears to come out in 2 sperate lines, which happen to line up with the legs of the "figure". I would have presumed it was just light if it wasnt for the direction of the light in the back room.

Hopefully the user AI who runs abandoned Ireland comes in and gives his opinion as its the type of shot he takes alot of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Is there any similar pictures of that spot?

• Advertisement

Is there any similar pictures of that spot?

The photographer said this:
    Without moving I did a few takes to try and work out what had caused it but couldn't see anything. So weird

I've emailed him to ask if he would send on another shot of the same spot.

Something not mentioned in the link above is that the museum was having an event on the 16th May called "Ghosts in the Attic".
    ** PRESS RELEASE **

The Edward Jenner Museum

Edward Jenner’s 260th Anniversary: “Ghosts in the Attic”

The Edward Jenner Museum is daring to dip a toe into the ongoing MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) debate. During 2009 the Museum in the former home of Dr Jenner celebrates the 260th anniversary of his birth by holding a number of exciting events, the most controversial of which will be “Ghosts in the Attic: From Smallpox to MMR”. The Museum opens the attic rooms to visitors for the first time to experience this new Welcome Trust funded exhibition. Artist in residence, Fiona Kam Meadley, has created a dynamic and thought provoking video and art installation in the atmospheric attic space to fire the public’s imagination, taking them back to when smallpox was a fact of life. Vaccination has always been a controversial issue; vaccines and their safety have been debated for centuries. But is the recent furore over Measles a new phenomenon or is history simply repeating itself? Find out why the fear of vaccination is nothing new.

We aim to explore difficult issues - vaccination: a public duty or private choice? Would you go to prison rather than have your child vaccinated against MMR? This was the fate of parents in the late nineteenth century who refused vaccinations against smallpox for their children, yet one in three children who caught smallpox in Edward Jenner’s day died. How far would you go to uphold your beliefs today? In “Ghosts in the Attic” find out what happened to Edward Jenner and his class mates, aged 8, who were locked in a barn for weeks and forcibly given smallpox as an established ‘medical procedure’. The exhibition includes the isolation ward they are kept in: be prepared to see (and smell!) cameos from 250 years ago.

As the photo was taken by a (BBC) photographer not connected with the museum I give it some credit but it may be a promotional bit for their tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

What am I supposed to be looking at? I see nothing but a rocking horse and a door. I could take a picture of something and try to make out figures that aren't really there aswell. I wouldn't call that much proof of anything.

What am I supposed to be looking at? I see nothing but a rocking horse and a door. I could take a picture of something and try to make out figures that aren't really there aswell. I wouldn't call that much proof of anything.

No one here has said its proof of anything, just that its interesting. I've highlighted below what people are talking about seeing as you're having problem seeing it:

zaaxlgiynjjnidy89fs.jpg

But I think thats people trying to see something that isn't there in that picture. Actually to the left of the figure is what I thought people might be looking at, there seems to be another man there looking at that figure. But I think that proves that if you look long and hard enough at that picture you will be able to make out something from that picture.

They are definitely referring to the seated "figure" as all the articles use the word "sitting".

Yup I know that, but my point was that when I didnt know what the figure was supposed to be I could point out three different figures in that picture (one of them imo is better than the one we are talking about) which would make me think that in a picture like that its easy to find figures and shapes that dont exist in the picture in the first place. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I get what you're saying and yes people can make out all sort of things if they want to - simulacra. I jut think what is being highlighted is the most obvious and general opinion seems to be the same in this case.

That said I'm not saying its a ghost.

In your enhanced pic, 6th, it looks like a stuffed shop dummy.

In your enhanced pic, 6th, it looks like a stuffed shop dummy.

Well there is a line (maybe beading?) running beside the left "shoulder" which is still visible through the "figure".

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    Well there is a line (maybe beading?) running beside the left "shoulder" which is still visible through the "figure".
    Could it be a projected image? Im thinking of the streaming light.

Oh ... thats a good idea! :D

Advertisement