Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc tax

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

did anybody hear or read about this mad tax that the irish government are trying to introduce,i.e treating pc's as television and we having to pay a licence fee of 160 per year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

dee112 wrote: »
    did anybody hear or read about this mad tax that the irish government are trying to introduce,i.e treating pc's as television and we having to pay a licence fee of 160 per year

It'll never happen. We need to encourage our citizens to become more PC literate/aware, whatever you want to call it; not to slap a tax on them for the pleasure. Just because you can watch RTÉ on their new player doesn't mean that everyone with a PC will be.

But I also heard the suggestion of a mobile phone tax mentioned today ... Now that's something I do think they might try to introduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dee112

thats all very well but when you're a reception like we have in tipperary you can hardly hear a phone call and no fixed line broadband in the country areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

In the UK, you legally should have a license, if you stream online, tv shows, through iPlayer for example.
    The report's on 6oc news on 2fm was that the minister had announced that mobile phones and online stream would be except from any license fee, and this would in added to the broadcasting bill. OTA (over the air) reception via aerial/dish and tv tuners in pc's will still require a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Sorry but exactly what percentage of the country is stupid enough to buy a TV licence.

They spend more money on advertising, i like the botox ad, then they do on inspectors.

A few things to remember in the unlikely event a TV inspector calls: they have no legal right to be on your property , they have no legal right to question you or ask you for ID, if you say you have no TV and the ariel is no longer used they have to accept it, if you say your name Humongous McLovin there's not much they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

sm.org wrote: »
    Sorry but exactly what percentage of the country is stupid enough to buy a TV licence.

They spend more money on advertising, i like the botox ad, then they do on inspectors.

A few things to remember in the unlikely event a TV inspector calls: they have no legal right to be on your property , they have no legal right to question you or ask you for ID, if you say you have no TV and the ariel is no longer used they have to accept it, if you say your name Humongous McLovin there's not much they can do about it.

if they have none of the above rights, how come so many people end up in court as a result of their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

old boy wrote: »
    if they have none of the above rights, how come so many people end up in court as a result of their actions.

Do you know anyone personally who has been brought to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

All the talk before the budget was of a tax on text messages,i'm surprised they didn't bring it in,,might happen yet though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

This really annoys me - we already PAY TAX on our mobile phones. When we buy them and when we use them (both credit and bill), so why does anyone think we should pay MORE tax for them?

What's more, as far as I'm concerned the credit/bill is for the phone service and should be at 13.5% tax, not the 21.5% luxury tax rate. Fine, charge 21.5% on the phones, but on the service? It's so annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a large number for different offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bogger77 wrote: »
    In the UK, you legally should have a license, if you stream online, tv shows, through iPlayer for example.

You only have to own a tv license in the UK if you watch live content, you can watch anything on BBC iplayer, 4OD etc to your heart's content once it's not live. Seems a bit silly but that's how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Very true. People seem to forget that we already pay up to 2.5 cent tax for a standard text message in vat.

Everything that can be taxed is already and a text message tax or a mobile phone tax is in effect double taxing which should not be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fear

Yes, my brother in law was in court , but he had a license........:eek:

He had bought it in his local rural post office but there was some mixup in their internal system in the Post Office and it was never registered. He kept getting the reminders and despite calls to the Post Office he still got summoned. He turned up in court produced the license and the case was dismissed......:)

Advertisement