Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG update problem

Options
  • 18-05-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I have not been able to update my AVG free for a couple of days now. I get this message = Forbidden access to the server. I thought it might be out of date or something so I removed it and reinstalled it, still the same. I removed it again and downloaded Avast home, it could not connect to the server for updates either.
    I changed to BT broadband a couple of weeks ago could this have something to do with it ?
    I was using google chrome for a couple of weeks aswell, could it be that ? I have removed google chrome as it was crashing today.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Anyone ? Im fairly nervous using the laptop without the antivirus working properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Well maybe you could have a read over this thread and see if it helps.
    Also do you have any firewalls running?
    If the link is of no use then run the steps provided in the sticky

Edit: Because it is happening with two AV's that might mean that its malware related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Well maybe you could have a read over this thread and see if it helps.
    Also do you have any firewalls running?
    If the link is of no use then run the steps provided in the sticky

Edit: Because it is happening with two AV's that might mean that its malware related.

Thanks, I had a good read through the posts which led into different forums and lots of people having the same problem. It was a long afternoon but I got it sorted in the end.
    Its caused by malware/virus. It makes changes to the registry which causes change to some dns settings or something like that, Im not very technical.
    It also causes problems for programs like CCCleaner,Spybot ect..
    I got it sorted with Combofix.

Advertisement