Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would win ?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys, time for another one of those "who would win" threads.
    This week we're looking at the Galaxy and Valdore classes, basically which one do you think would win in a fair fight ?*
    *sorry about this guys but this arguement resulted from a drunken debate between myself and my friend.

Who would win ? 17 votes

Galaxy
    0% 0 votes
    Valdore
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

They lasted piss all time against the Scimitar. knocked out in the first round while enterprise was still sparing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

True, but the Enterprise E was a Sovereign class and the Scimtar was well, the Scimtar.
    I expect a Sovereign would be equalivilent to a D'dereix class. Which would have done alot better then the Valdores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Galaxy FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

id say the valdore - its an impressive ship which wa sundersused for the sake of a plot involving a 1 on 1 ent v sem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Galaxy FTW.
    Are you going to add anything usful to that ?
    id say the valdore - its an impressive ship which wa sundersused for the sake of a plot involving a 1 on 1 ent v sem
    I am inclined to agree, although two Valdore class ships were wiped out preety quickly against the Scmiter any ship would be lost against that beast. Whats more the Valdore Class is a ship breed for war while the Galaxy is more of an exploration vessal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Are you going to add anything usful to that ?

I am inclined to agree, although two Valdore class ships were wiped out preety quickly against the Scmiter any ship would be lost against that beast. Whats more the Valdore Class is a ship breed for war while the Galaxy is more of an exploration vessal.

Agreed, it is newer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Sorry IWF, never noticed your query.

I just reckon that a Galaxy class fitted out for battle would be a fairly heavy hitter.

Maybe as designed, they mightn't have lasted too much time, but by the time the Soverign class came along, what 8 or 9 years had passed, all sorts of improvements would be incorporated into any new hull builds. All in all i reckon they'd have a better tolerance for taking damage, while still getting in her hits. A Valdore class looks meaner, but a little bit more delicate looking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When Galaxy class ships were first produced (such as the USS Enterprise D) were top of the line, but by the time the Valdore and the Soterus (Norexan class) were introduced, they were 15 years old. However, IIRC, there was a 25 year plan for the Galaxy class where they get refit every 5 years with upgrades. So maybe the Galaxy class ships at the time were upgraded about halfway between the Enterprise above and the Future Enterprise seen in All Good Things

So I reckon it would actually be a very fair fight (in card images, you can see the stats of the ship at the bottom of the cards)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

How can you compare a ship type you seen once and happily hand waved away the ass kicking they received on film (canon!) compared to the successor of the galaxy class what are you using as a comparison against the galaxy ? magic happy numbers from a bridge commander mod?

according to the film scimmy > sovy >>>>>>>>>>valdore(y) i would consider the valdore the intrepid of the romulan fleet powerful ya but no way near a threat for the sov or galaxy class
    I expect a Sovereign would be equalivilent to a D'dereix class. Which would have done alot better then the Valdores.

I don't get this assumption of inferiority for the galaxy class afaik they never fought 1 on 1 in tng but every single time a warbird wanted to intimidate the E-D they had to call in 2-3 more warbirds to support them in one episode 3 or 4? warbirds faced down the enterprise it only took the appearance of 2-3 birds of prey to even the fight to the point no one knew who would win thats hardly some super superior l33t warship also remember it has been said that the federation pound for pound have better ships they may not build dedicated warships but they don't need to as their technology is better

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

bizmark wrote: »

I don't get this assumption of inferiority for the galaxy class afaik they never fought 1 on 1 in tng but every single time a warbird wanted to intimidate the E-D they had to call in 2-3 more warbirds to support them in one episode 3 or 4? warbirds faced down the enterprise it only took the appearance of 2-3 birds of prey to even the fight to the point no one knew who would win thats hardly some super superior l33t warship also remember it has been said that the federation pound for pound have better ships they may not build dedicated warships but they don't need to as their technology is better

I remember that episode (I will supply title when I remember it) where the Enterprise called in the Klingons for support against the Warbirds , but I think they were supposed to be the scaled up BoPs, not the hundred-metre ones. So in fact they were full-scale battleships. Of couse the very existence of those ships is daft,to start with, but thats another days discussion....

As for the Valdore, I think we'd have to take a number of points into consideration. Firstly,Shinzon was not trying to destroy the Enterprise but disable it, whearas he had no compunction about putting the Valdores out of the fight as fast as he possibly could. Secondly, Shinzon was very astute tactically, the finest war leader of the Star Empire, and he also would have had intimate knowledge of the Valdore class, its strengths and weaknessess.
    On the other hand, the Valdore class does seem to have an obvious inherent weakness: those enormous 'wing' structures which offer-and did to Shinzon- an attacker a clear vulnerable target. On an atmospheric-capable smaller vessel, they might be functional, but on a battleship...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i dont buy that "going easy on the enterprise" stuff he might of for a little while but it wasnt 5 mins into the fight the scimitar was targeting the enterprise's bridge and about midway through i think they basicly threw their hands up in the air said "**** it" and started to blast the crap out of the enterprise :pac:

Advertisement