Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student grant for masters course

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have read as many threads I could under 'Mature Student Grant' but couldnt find an answer

Is it true that you cant get a mature students grant for a masters course?
    Im just finished 4years straight true in legal studies and was thinking of doing a masters in ucc next year, Im 23 since december '08 and would move down to my own place in Cork so I'd be an independent M/S

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

You should check the following websites:- Not really sure about maintence grants, you could check with your local county council who should be able to tell you. I do know that you will not qualify for social welfare back to education allowance. Hope this helps

www.studentfinance.ie
    www.citizensinformation.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

amtaxi wrote: »
    You should check the following websites:- Not really sure about maintence grants, you could check with your local county council who should be able to tell you. I do know that you will not qualify for social welfare back to education allowance. Hope this helps

www.studentfinance.ie
    www.citizensinformation.ie

Thanks for the links amtaxi I'll check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi SteJay,

I feel that I should dispel a very long running rumour:

There is no such thing as the "Mature Students Grant."

There is a Higher Education Grant, which is allocated to mature students and "traditional" students alike. There are 3 categories under which students qualify for the grant:

- Independent Mature Student: for the 2009/10 academic year, this applies to students over the age of 23 on January 1st 2009, and have been independently resident outside of the family home since October 1st 2008 (and can prove it with ultility bills etc). Independent Mature Students are means-tested based on their own (and spouse's if applicable) income for the tax year January-December 2008.

- Dependent Mature Student: for the 2009/10 academic year, this applies to students over the age of 23 on January 1st 2009 who are resident in the family home. Also, the default position of many grant authorities is that if you cannot prove your independence, you will be considered dependent. Dependent Mature Students are means-tested based on their own (and spouse's if applicable) income AND their parents' income for the tax year January-December 2008.

- Student other than a Mature Student: for the 2009/10 academic year, this pretty much applies to everyone else. These students are means-tested based on their parents' income for the tax year January-December 2008.
    Im just finished 4years straight true in legal studies

If you are going straight from your undergrad into a masters programme (without taking a year off in between), then your grant status will be the same as it was prior to your starting your undergrad, i.e. Student other than a Mature Student.
    Im 23 since december '08 and would move down to my own place in Cork so I'd be an independent M/S

This doesn't necessarily apply, as a): if you haven't taken a year off between programs, you are not considered a Mature Student for grant purposes and b): you would have to have been resident in Cork since October 2008 to claim a grant from Cork City Council.

If you were in receipt of a grant doing your undergrad, it shouldn't be a problem for you to qualify for a grant for your masters. If you were not in receipt of a grant for whatever reason (parental income too high etc), then you will not get a grant for your masters if you go straight from your undergrad to your postgrad without taking a year off in between.

Lots of useful information in this link (aimed at DIT students, but relevant to all grant applicants) - see in particular questions 6, 7, 11 and 13.

http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

*the information is for the 2008/09 academic year as the HEG Scheme for 2009/10 has not been released yet, but the information is essentially the same.

I hope that this has been helpful!

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Thanks for your post Bob it was very helpful.Looks like I wont be doing a masters next yr then well at least not down in ucc because I would need the full 6 grand or so for accomodation etc.Maybe I'll take a year out now then go back on the BTEA if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddythebull

Just wondering would I qualify for a grant. Have recently graduated from UL (4 year degree course), thinking about returning to college for another undergrad course in civil engineering. I will be 23 before Jan 1st when applying but dont think I can get a grant for doing a course of the same level is this true??

• Advertisement

Just wondering would I qualify for a grant. Have recently graduated from UL (4 year degree course), thinking about returning to college for another undergrad course in civil engineering. I will be 23 before Jan 1st when applying but dont think I can get a grant for doing a course of the same level is this true??

Unfortunately not, you can't get a grant if you're going to do a second degree (if it's not progression) under the present rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 aluna

unfortunately next year you will need to be out of education for three years before you can be reassessed as a mature student :mad:. however, if you have already received the grant you will presumably have no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MarianneL

Hi

I have been recentley made redundant ( end of July ) and have received recentley jobseekers Benefit, when I was made redundant I applied for a place on a degree course ( 2nd year ) which I have been offered the place, been a late applicant I was not very confident of a place, so now my predicament is, I can not receive BTEA as I have not been receiving the job seekers benefit long enough , this course is full time so bascially what they are saying to me is if i accept and go ahead with going full time education ( which I really wish to do ) I can not receive Job seekers benefit ( as to receive this benefit I must make myself available at all times for work , hence as I wish to be a full time student therefore I won't be availabe )

This may write very confusing, as you can imagine I am very confused as I thought the jobs seekers benefit was be paid off your stamps you built up

Well to round it up, if I go back to full time education ( which starts tommorrow ) I will not be entitled to antthing and will have to sign off ? or I defer my place for one year build up the time period required to qualify for BETA

Can any body give me some advice PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PS I am a mature student

Hi MarianneL,

From the latest SW70 document:

If you have been awarded Statutory Redundancy, you may access the BTEA Scheme. However, you must first establish an entitlement to a Social Welfare payment, before starting an approved course of study.

What this means essentially, is that if you have been awarded Statutory Redundancy (i.e. you were employed by the same employer on a full-time basis for two years or more, your job no longer exists and you have receieved a redundancy payment - typically accompanied by form RP-50), you don't have to fulfil the qualifying period once you can prove your entitlement to a social welfare payment (in your case Jobseeker's Benefit).

If this is indeed the case, then you should have no problem accessing the BTEA for your full-time programme. If not, then you will lose your benefits as soon as you start your programme.

I hope that this has helped!

Bob

Hi Bob Thanks a mil for your reply I found out more info today , so I am up to speed with you now But aparantley ..... It is actually Accountancy I am doing, I did two years full time with no avail of a grant or social welfare 15 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!Now I want to go into 2nd year of a three year degree course, so this is the reason I can not avail of BETA , because I am exempt from the first year with my previous qualifications, and BETA is only available to first year students !!!!!!! Help again

• Advertisement

MarianneL wrote: »
    Hi Bob Thanks a mil for your reply I found out more info today , so I am up to speed with you now But aparantley ..... It is actually Accountancy I am doing, I did two years full time with no avail of a grant or social welfare 15 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!Now I want to go into 2nd year of a three year degree course, so this is the reason I can not avail of BETA , because I am exempt from the first year with my previous qualifications, and BETA is only available to first year students !!!!!!! Help again

Hi MarianneL,

The BTEA will accept a letter from the college stating that you have been exempted from 1st year of the programme and have been offered a place directly into second year. I know students here in DIT that have been granted BTEA even though they started their programmes in 2nd year. I would contact your college and ask for such a letter.

best of luck!

Hi Bob I have requested that letter so fingers crossed eh!Thanks amil Marianne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hiya does anyone know can you get a county council grant to do a research masters or is it taught only? Will they give you grant throughout a PHD?
    I'm 24 going on 25, in fourth year of a nutritional science degree and got offered a research masters today starting next year.
    I'm on BETA (I know that won't continue) and the top up grant from kerry county council.

Advertisement