Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a lease,what do you think?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Ok heres the score,Ive been renting a 1 bedroom apartment for the last 11 months,the lease is up at the end of June,Im paying a 1000 a month,which is steep,considering where it is and how small it is,thing is Ive been offered a beutiful 3 bedroom house,in a much more central location,with all mod cons for the same price,a 1000,thing is,they want us at the end of the week,and obviously want the first month rent and deposit,but my landlord wont let us leave before the lease is up,he wants us there till the very end(he wouldnt offer us a reduction on the rent despite every other apartent going now for 800/850),and he is says that he wants to inspect property when we leave and check everything is Ok before he hands back the deposit,so what Im thinking of doing is just jacking it,paying off the ESB and clearing all dects and just leaving and grab the house,does that should reasonable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

Sounds reasonable to me. He might screw you for some of your deposit anyway.

However, I know you think this 3-bed is perfect. In the same way as when people look on daft or autotrader.. each turned page is "That's the one".

There'll be other 3-Bedrooms for reasonable rent, in this climate. My advice is to see out your lease, give it a good tidy, get your deposit back, in full and get a good reference. It's not big money in the big picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Ive had a look at the house,and its in great nick,landlord seems cool,very professional but also very laid back,doesnt want references,so everything seems 100% on that end,I just have to have a deposit and the rent by Friday,and to do so Im not paying my landlord the last months rent,therefore breaking terms of my lease,but I have the place spotless,paying all the bills,never gave him any hassle and aint asking for deposit back,so I think thats fair,I am looking at other houses in meantime,but nothing seems to stand to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

im afraid its not reasonable as a lease is a legally binding document. the landlord could go to court to recover the due rent, howeve rits highly unlikely given the time and effort involved with your lease almost up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

D3PO wrote: »
    im afraid its not reasonable as a lease is a legally binding document. the landlord could go to court to recover the due rent, howeve rits highly unlikely given the time and effort involved with your lease almost up.

I know Im liable breakin the lease,but considering,Im leaving em with a grand deposit and a spotless apartment,with all bills paid,is it really worth his while going to the trouble of taking me to court,which could take a year even more,and claiming back his thousand which he has anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no its probably not worth his while and he probably wont do it.

just letting you know that he could and if he does you would be liable. Its very very unlikely though

• Advertisement
Advertisement