Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shocks but Steering Tube is quite short.

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi there,

I recently picked up a set of Marzocchi Forks second hand as a replacement for the current shocks on my bike, the trouble is the Marzocchi Fork's steering tube seems to be a good deal shorter than my current set of fork's, resulting in there not being a lot of clearance to place the Handlebars etc. back on. Is there any solution to this i.e., replacing the tube in the new set or something along those lines?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Hi there,

I recently picked up a set of Marzocchi Forks second hand as a replacement for the current shocks on my bike, the trouble is the Marzocchi Fork's steering tube seems to be a good deal shorter than my current set of fork's, resulting in there not being a lot of clearance to place the Handlebars etc. back on. Is there any solution to this i.e., replacing the tube in the new set or something along those lines?

Cheers

I've often heard of ppl wanting to replace the steerer tube but I've yet to hear of someone doing it successfully. Not sure if its possible to do with a level of confidence that the fork wont be comprised. Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Are there any spacers that were on it previously that you can do without?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It should be possible, but without the right equipment you could end up screwing it altogether. When this happens, most people replace the crown + steerer tube instead of trying to screw with it. The shock is the most expensive part - the crown and steerer are just metal.
    Maybe your LBS might be able to order a new crown in for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The steerer tube can't be replaced. You can replace the upper assembly (steerer, crown, stanchions) but it won't be cheap.

How much steerer do you have above the headset? You might be able to use a different stem with a lower-stack height and less spacers. About 35mm is the absolute minimum you could get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BUCK_HENDERSHOT

Cheers for all the quick replies. I already thought of the removing the spacers option, it helped but still not quite enough clearance. The tube I am trying to fit is 170mm in length, about 30mm (roughly) shorter than the original set . I think looking out for a smaller stem is my only option, as replacing the steering tube seems to be a no no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

what model is it? some marzocchi forks you can replace the steerer tube.

go to www.windwave.co.uk cal the number given and talk to them, they will tell you exactly what to do.

AFAIK its the dirt jams that cannot have the steerer replaced, others can but you need a press to re-install it, so you wil have to send it over to windwave.

post up a pic of it sitting in the frame with the BB in and stem on, take a pic of the gap between the top of the stem and the fork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BUCK_HENDERSHOT

I will try and post some pictures soon.

Advertisement