Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering getting a dog for first time, some questions

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I've been thinking of getting a dog for first time, and seeking some advice.

Here's my situation.

We (fiancée + me) have a house, with a small/med sized back garden (fully enclosed).
    We have no kids.
    I work from home 2 days a week, so would be available full time 4 days a week, and every evening.
    We don't have a back room or similar to sleep dog indoors, but possibly could home it in our kitchen with some adjustment.

Based on the above, what would you advice be, should we get a dog, what breed, is it cruel to leave dog alone for 8 hours - 3 days week?

I've done some recommend-me-dog quizs and the Mini Schnauzer has been recommended a few times - which I like the characteristics of.

I think it will take some convincing of my fiancée to get an indoors dog as well.

Would I be suitable as a dog owner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Hi zAbbo,

Alot of dogs are left alone for 8 hours five days a week, 3 days a week s/he will be fine - just get plenty of toys/bones etc to keep them amused and stimulated during the time you will be away.

zAbbo wrote: »
    We don't have a back room or similar to sleep dog indoors, but possibly could home it in our kitchen with some adjustment.

The dog will be fine in a good, weatherproof kennel, if you would prefer to leave it outdoors - wait for the good weather before introducing it to sleeping outdoors though.

I think it will take some convincing of my fiancée to get an indoors dog as well.
    Trust me, once they see those little puppy dog eyes she will have no hassle letting it sleep inside! My OH was like that - now I regularly have to try to get into the bed and squeeze in between a Rottweiler and a Shar Pei (and the OH!)
    They dont sleep there, just snooze for a while before their bedtime!

Would I be suitable as a dog owner?
    The fact you are researching would suggest so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Spent a few minutes today reading up on breeders and general info on toy dogs - there's a lot to it, and that's just buying the dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nancyivory

I am looking for preferably a ridgeback can anyone advice me where to go to find breeders in ireland or I do also like the Airedale Terrier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

As another poster said - seeing as you are researching it so much I think you would be a perfect dog owner.

I agree with the other poster also in saying that a good weatherproof insulated kennell is a great option,even if you decide to let your dog sleep inside.

About the 8 hours on its own - at the weekends our dog could be 10 hours on its own (and thats just because we fancy a lie in!!)You sound excellent people to have a dog. We've got a lab by the way and he is the life and soul of our house!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

You sound like a perfect dog owner to me and well done for researching before you nip off out to get your companion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Zabbo, Why buy a dog from a breeder, Save some poor mutts life and get a rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

I would recommend the mini schnauzer, i have one myself, very intelligent dog and non-shedding which was important to me. Didnt want dog hair all over the house. also not a big dog, so great for indoors.

i would also recommend the schnoodle dog (cross between a schnauzer and a poodle, google them, terribley cute), i have one of these to! Also very intelligent, very cute and non-shedding.

my two are left at home in the day time, they have their kennell outside and their toys. they are the best of pals and play away together. they recently dug up my potted plants that i had down the back of the garden, so beware, young dogs like to play and get into everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

abbey2000 wrote: »
    I would recommend the mini schnauzer, i have one myself, very intelligent dog and non-shedding which was important to me. Didnt want dog hair all over the house. also not a big dog, so great for indoors.

i would also recommend the schnoodle dog (cross between a schnauzer and a poodle, google them, terribley cute), i have one of these to! Also very intelligent, very cute and non-shedding.

my two are left at home in the day time, they have their kennell outside and their toys. they are the best of pals and play away together. they recently dug up my potted plants that i had down the back of the garden, so beware, young dogs like to play and get into everything!

Yep! And make sure you keep any TV wires etc well out of their way. I thought I managed that but one of my darlings managed to chew his way through my laptop plug wire the one time I forgot to put it up high out of reach, one slip up from you and they're in there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

What ever you get be it pedigree or a resuce dog do as you are doing, Research! They need yearly vaccinations, 3 monthly worming, monthly flea treatment, good diet, HEALTH INSURANCE, stimulation and most of all lots and lots of love!. You are starting on the right foot keep it up and lets us know what you decide on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Im just throwin this out there as i dont have one myself but herselfs mother does and i think its a great indoor dog but wouldn be gone on them myself as into bigger dogs but a bichon freese? Dont shed hair. Hers is ten year old so that could also be why it so good. As i said i dont know anythin about the breed but thought id throw it out there.

• Advertisement

Still on the research trail :)

Thanks for all the feedback, to answer the question on breeder v rescue, I was looking at a Mini schnauzer and found a recommended breeder in Beflast who I contacted and seemed very genuine. I want a particular type of dog, and have had an eye on rescue dogs but I'd prefer a pup to ensure it's in good health.

Also had a look at schnoodle's, they're similar to mini schnauzer :)

schnoodle_powers.jpg2003302144300131332_rs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

How about a rescue greyhound? They are happy enough to sleep for a lot of the day and love nothing more than to curl up on a soft bed. They would need 2 20 min walks a day and have fantastic temprements! They are not noisy dogs either so won't disturb the neighbours when you're out .... contrary to popular belief, they are NOT vicious! - they are quiet, clean, affectionate pets and are great with kids.

Just google 'rescue greyhound' and you'll see why these lads are so deserving of homes. You won't regret it!

Edit; I recommend contacting www.paws.ie who look after the outcasts from the dreadfull greyhound racing industry ....

Glowing wrote: »
    How about a rescue greyhound? They are happy enough to sleep for a lot of the day and love nothing more than to curl up on a soft bed. They would need 2 20 min walks a day and have fantastic temprements! They are not noisy dogs either so won't disturb the neighbours when you're out .... contrary to popular belief, they are NOT vicious! - they are quiet, clean, affectionate pets and are great with kids.

Just google 'rescue greyhound' and you'll see why these lads are so deserving of homes. You won't regret it!

Edit; I recommend contacting www.paws.ie who look after the outcasts from the dreadfull greyhound racing industry ....
    If I'm being honest, I don't want a greyhound because I don't like the look of them (shallow I know)

I'm specifically looking for a toy dog - sorry if that offends anyone. Just want a dog that suits me, rather than getting something which won't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hi zABBO I see you are looking for a toy dog.You cannot go wrong with a bichon. We have one ourselves and he is brilliant. He is good with kids and the bichons dont shed either. If you want any more info or help just pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collgal

I'm looking for a schnauzer (mini) too. I've researched and think the breed will suit us. I've been trying to contact the mini schnauzer club to get breeder details but no luck so far. I dont want to take any chances and buy one off the wrong person - I got caught once before :mad: (different breed) and wont make that mistake again.
    If anyone knows any reputable breeder please PM me.
    Thanks!! :D

Advertisement