Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

workshop renovation

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:04am
    Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭

Heres one i want to throw open to the forum.

Ive been asked to spec up a renovation of a workshop for 'temporary' habitation. The idea is that a son is going to live in this space while he saves for a deposit for a mortgage. Therefore budget is a huge factor. Obviously this needs to be done at as low as possible a cost, in order for the savings to be as real and high as possible. its envisaged that 2-3 years will be the lifespan of this renovation. We are aiming at 7-8K max budget. All labour is free, so materials only.

The brief requires the end product to be warm, cosy, healthy and easily and cheaply serviced and heated.

The building is a 6 x 6.5 m shed. The current construction is:
    100 exposed block walls
    single skin profile steel clad roof on 125 x 36 rafters @ 1500 c/c
    75mm concrete floor on compacted hardcore.

attached is a sketch of this

I want to open this to forum members to see what they think could be applicable in the hope of drinking from the vast well of knowledge and experience out there.

My initial thoughts for a spec is:

floor

1200 gauge polythene over existing floor.
    50 x 50 battens fixed to floor
    50mm Pu or PIR foam cut to suit between battens
    12.5mm plywood
    floor finish (floating timber or tile)

walls
    render external with sand and cement with waterproof additive
    internal dry lining stud of:
    cheap breather felt taped to floor polythene
    100 packed rockwool / mineral wool
    cheap breather felt
    12.5 plasterboard

roof

this is the tricky one.
    Sound proofing is a major issue. Even in a light drizzle this shed sounds like stones hitting a tin can, so clever ideas required here.
    At the moment im thinking of basically repeating the wall construction up the slope of the roof. Thicker insulation = better sound proofing. I need to remove though-construction sound transmittance as much as possible, so im thinking of running a secondary layer of quilted material under the rafters. This would be held up by plasterboard ceiling fixed to a new framework of rafters set below the existing so that theres no connection between old and new. I would exvisage 150mm quilted material in this location.

anyone have any comments, critisisms, thoughts, ideas etc....

all very welcome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

What is the current eave height and apex height and what height are the collars?

Is the current roof okay for snow load at 1500 c/c in 125 by 36?
    [Unlikely with global warming i know]

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

carlow, the roof has stood for the last 15 years with no issues. Ok, we havent had major snow, but i think the expected lifespan of the build as a habitable space wouldnt require the strengtening of the roof. the profile cladding is very lightweight.

The internal eaves is 2.45 m
    The internal apex is 4.0 m

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Would it be possible to add some kind of torch-on asphalt roofing material or some kind of cheap shingles to the exterior of the metal roof to help with the acoustics inside...

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add some kind of torch-on asphalt roofing material or some kind of cheap shingles to the exterior of the metal roof to help with the acoustics inside...

Mike.

interesting...

torch-on over the profile may be difficult, also hard to quantify the result... but certainly an option. Shingles probably too labour intensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

How about externally cladding - roof and walls with an industrial metal/PUR sandwich board from Mr Lion . Affix to SW battens over blocks - infill gaps at permiters with rockwool pack

Use torch on felt to roof with min 50 additional PUR to kill sound ( or make it bearable anyhow )

Cheapo PVC or even get chippy to lash up some timber sash windows .

Elec storage heaters ( temp stand alone structure below 50m2 - no BER ;) )

Mr Lion does a flooring insulation with ply attached so you can "float" cheapo laminate onto that ( all maybe taken up for re use later )

http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/ireland/tf73.htm

(..... and don't forget planning application )

• Advertisement
Advertisement