Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming for Medical Expenses in 2008

• 18-05-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but none that seem to answer the questions I have (which I think are pretty straightforward).

1) When you claim tax back on medical expenses in the year previous, do you receive the tax back as additional tax credits in the year 2009, or as a cheque for a lump sum (similar to overpaid tax refund)?

2) Did anyone apply for medical tax refund at the start of the year, and if so, have you received it?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi Kila,,

You're right, they are straightforward questions :)

1) Yes, you receive it as a cheque or lodgement to your bank account, not as credits
    2) Yes, I sent mine in the first business day back in January '09 for the 2008 year and received the refund about a week later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Hmm, ok. Thanks for those answers.

I applied online as soon as I got my P60 in Jan 2009, but have heard nothing since. I think I'll have to call them and find out what's going on. Just wanted to have my facts in order before I called.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Kila wrote: »
    Hmm, ok. Thanks for those answers.

I applied online as soon as I got my P60 in Jan 2009, but have heard nothing since. I think I'll have to call them and find out what's going on. Just wanted to have my facts in order before I called.

Thanks.

Ring revenue because if you are due a refund you should have received it a long time ago going by the date you applied for the refund. It could be held aside due to a simple question that needs to be answered and can then be issued out within the next week or two.
    If it is held aside, you will have to contact them before they contact you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kila wrote: »
    I applied online
    The online service seems to be a bit of a disaster. In my opinion, it's much easier to call into their office on Cathedral Street (if you are in Dublin). You'll be in and out in 30 mins max. and they will tell you where you stand. I was in a few weeks ago and the staff member that I dealt with said that the online service was causing a lot of problems. I had €4,000 lodged to my bank account within days! :D

Advertisement