Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Hotel in Portlaoise

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I was wondering if any one here can recommend a hotel in Portlaoise thats close to the train station. I'd be arriving in late as in almost midnight was looking at hotels online and the ones I came across seem to have very mixed reviews so said I'd trust the judgment of you good people :D

Also how much would it roughly cost to get a taxi from Kildare to Portlaoise? I just realised I'm waiting over 2 hours in Kildare for a connection train to portlaoise but they seem to be only 29 min journey

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

There may be a Bus Eireann service from Kildare to Portlaoise, you could check timetable online. I'd imagine a taxi might cost €50? Closest train station to the station is The Heritage; it's ok I wouldn't be mad about it. Next closest, and only about 10 mins walk is O'Loughlins on the Main Street, which is a family run establishment, basic enough rooms but probably a bit more personal and does good food. After that it's the Maldron, which is a 10 min taxi ride away, it's good too. For handiness I'd go for O'Loughlins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

you're right re the buses so thanks for that! Unfort last one is at 9 and I only arrive into the train station at 8:40 assuming its on time which doesn't give much time to get to bus stop where abouts is the bus stop from the train station?

I know when I come out of Kildare and am in the car park I can turn right or go down the long straight not sure which way either would take me though :)

I'll likely go with O'Loughlins so for the hotel thanks again for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

you're right re the buses so thanks for that! Unfort last one is at 9 and I only arrive into the train station at 8:40 assuming its on time which doesn't give much time to get to bus stop where abouts is the bus stop from the train station?

I know when I come out of Kildare and am in the car park I can turn right or go down the long straight not sure which way either would take me though :)

I'll likely go with O'Loughlins so for the hotel thanks again for the advice

At car park entrance turn right - approx 600M to the Square in Kildare - Bus stop far side of main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

The stop is just outside a pub/ off licence if I recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Hi guys I was wondering if any one here can recommend a hotel in Portlaoise thats close to the train station. I'd be arriving in late as in almost midnight was looking at hotels online and the ones I came across seem to have very mixed reviews so said I'd trust the judgment of you good people :D

Also how much would it roughly cost to get a taxi from Kildare to Portlaoise? I just realised I'm waiting over 2 hours in Kildare for a connection train to portlaoise but they seem to be only 29 min journey

Thanks in advance.

Does it have to be a hotel?

I stayed in Ivyleigh, which is effectively right beside the train station
    http://www.ivyleigh.com/
    It was amazingly lovley!

• Advertisement
Advertisement