Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for studying Abroad

Options
  • 18-05-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, i was just wondering if any body had any information on the process for applying for a grand to study abroad?? I hope to do my masters in the U.K this sept, i have a honours degree with an irish university. I graduated at the end of year 2008. I turned 23 in January, can i get a mature student grand?? :(where do i go next and am i entitled to apply for a grant for a masters?

Any info much be greatly appreciated, thanks you very much :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The Irish grants system only covers postgraduate study in the 32 counties, not the mainland UK. Unless you're doing research or there's some bursaries/scholarships funded by the universities you have in mind there's not much money out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

It depends on what discipline of study you want to get into. There are different funding bodies for different areas of research...for example if you wanted to study Arts areas in the UK at postgraduate level then the Arts Council provide a Travel and Training program that provides upto 12,000eu a year.

Get in touch with any lecturers you got on well with, or the head of your dept of undergrad study. Usually they'd be delighted to help out, plus you'll probably want a referee from your undergrad study so get in touch and ask around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lawgrad2013

is there any grant available for people who are doing like professional exams or distance learning courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

is there any grant available for people who are doing like professional exams or distance learning courses?

Not that I am aware of.

The grant system is quite specific

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Higher Education Grants Scheme

The courses that were approved under the Higher Education Grants Scheme and now come under the Student Grant Scheme are:

(a) Full-time undergraduate courses of not less than 2 years' duration or full-time postgraduate courses of not less than one year's duration taken in one of the approved institutions

(b) Full-time undergraduate courses of not less than 2 years' duration taken in a publicly funded university or third-level institution in another EU member state, with the exception of the following:
    Courses in Colleges of Further and Higher Education (other than courses which are at Higher National Diploma level or higher)
    Courses provided in a college that are offered in private commercial third-level colleges in the State and that are validated by that college
    Courses in colleges akin to private commercial colleges in Ireland

(c) A full-time undergraduate course of a minimum duration of 1 year in one of the approved institutions which represents progression from a Level 7 (Ordinary Bachelor Degree or National Diploma) course to an add-on Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) course.

You might be able to claim tax relief on fees

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/tax_relief_for_third_level_fees.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement