Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gov. cracking down on savers who dont pay tax ??

• 17-05-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hello all, i heard an advert on the tv over the weekend for i think the sunday business post, i'm not sure, saying something about the government cracking down on people with savings of 20k or more who are not paying tax.. Did i hear this right or is it something to do with other taxes, can't find anything on the business post on line or any other info on the net.. Be greatful if anyone could clear up this query.. Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Huh?

DIRT is deducted on bank accounts at source.

Have no idea what your are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

I find your tone very rude and not only on my post here but on other posts i have read of yours.. Its not very nice..

Fair enough if you don't know but maybe someone else will, that is why i posted..

Also it is up to you to declare tax on a credit union account, that is a form of savings too..

As i said basically i'm asking did anyone hear the advert on tv or radio, i wasn't taking much notice and am just curious, hopefully someone will be able to clarify..

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

Huh?

DIRT is deducted on bank accounts at source.

Have no idea what your are talking about.

I had noticed!

DIRT is deducted in most cases but if you meet the following criteria, you can receive the interest gross:
    • Either you or your spouse (if appropriate) are aged 65 or over when making the declaration
    • Your and your spouse's (if appropriate) total income for the year will be below the relevant annual exemption limit.
    This annual exemption limit may be increased if you have dependent children. A dependent child is defined as one who is:
    • Under 18 years of age, or
    • Over 18 years of age and in full-time education, or training full-time as an apprentice where the training is for at least two years, or
    • Incapacitated either physically or mentally, having become so before reaching 21 years of age or after reaching the age of 21 but while still in full-time education or while training full-time for a trade or a profession for a minimum of two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MONEY-qqqm=nav-qqqid=41738-qqqx=1.asp

I found what i was looking for, lol.. Curiosity killed the cat, eh? Cheers Barracudaincork for your help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

misty76 wrote: »
    Hello all, i heard an advert on the tv over the weekend for i think the sunday business post, i'm not sure, saying something about the government cracking down on people with savings of 20k or more who are not paying tax.. Did i hear this right or is it something to do with other taxes, can't find anything on the business post on line or any other info on the net.. Be greatful if anyone could clear up this query.. Thanks a lot in advance

I don't know if a single premium life assurance is a savings product though! (Feel free to reply with I don't know what a tracker mortgage is type quote!:o)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Good that that's cleared up.

If you have a problem with any moderator's, including mine, actions/ posts or modding please take it to feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement