Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamps about to run out. What to do next?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

My stamps are due to run out next month, Will I be entitled to any anyhing? Im living at home with my parents im only 20. Iv been working since I was 16 in a shop for the weekends while I was at school and im currently a 3rd year apprentice.

Anyway last year I lost my job for a bit and wasnt working for a good few months, and claimed my stamps. I got a job then after a bit and was working away for a few months when i got called to fas to do my 12weeks in collage as part of my apprenticeship. During this time in collage my employers work dried up just before I was about to finish my time in collage. Anyway when i signed on 2months ago I was told I was only 4weeks short of a full year of stamps, and was told the 3months I was in collage which I get paid for didn't count towards my stamps. So while I was in collage I lost out on the 4weeks of stamps I now need:(

So away as im only 20 and living at home they will expect my parents to support me which they havnt done since I was 16 when i started work. While I was working I used to help pay towards bills as I get my dinner cook stuff washed etc every week. So should I expect not to receive the dole as im living at home? I also have a 4k car loan to keep up with. My dad works full time and so does my mom, but she doesnt work for the summer as her job is cleaning a secondary school and she claims her stamps for the summer.

Will I have to move out and Claim dole and rent allowance?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im in the same situation as yourself.was let go last auguest,my stamps ran out in april,was working for 2.5 yrs,got a letter in january saying my stamps were running out and that I could apply for jobseekers allowance,so I ticked the jobseekers allowance box and a wk later they sent out a form for me to fill out and then I was called for a means test in feb,I dunno if I will get it or not though hopefully I will as I've applied for loads of jobs and noone is getting back to me.

Did you get any letter in the post telling you your stamps were running out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Im in the same situation as yourself.was let go last auguest,my stamps ran out in april,was working for 2.5 yrs,got a letter in january saying my stamps were running out and that I could apply for jobseekers allowance,so I ticked the jobseekers allowance box and a wk later they sent out a form for me to fill out and then I was called for a means test in feb,I dunno if I will get it or not though hopefully I will as I've applied for loads of jobs and noone is getting back to me.

Did you get any letter in the post telling you your stamps were running out?

No letter yet i have to the 10th of june before they run out, I was told when I went to sign on last week. How old you and are you still living with your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

Could someone please explain to me what stamps are.Ive never been out off work and I am a complete dumb ass when it comes to unemployment benifits

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No letter yet i have to the 10th of june before they run out, I was told when I went to sign on last week. How old you and are you still living with your parents?

Im 23 and yes Im still living at home,did they tell you you could apply for jobseekers allowance or anything?Id say ring them tomorrow or call into them and ask them what your options are.
    groomek wrote: »
    Could someone please explain to me what stamps are.Ive never been out off work and I am a complete dumb ass when it comes to unemployment benifits

Stamps are basically the prsi contributions you've been paying everyweek,basically if you've been paying prsi for two or more yrs then you get jobseekers benefit if not then you get job seekers allowance which is means tested.

Im 23 and yes Im still living at home,did they tell you you could apply for jobseekers allowance or anything?Id say ring them tomorrow or call into them and ask them what your options are..

They just told me call in to see what options i have, i must call in now next week. Any chance you can post back here to let me know how you get on?

• Advertisement

Well I got a letter today saying I qualified for the jobseekers allowance and have to collect my first payment tomorrow,Keep us posted on how you get on.

Well I got a letter today saying I qualified for the jobseekers allowance and have to collect my first payment tomorrow,Keep us posted on how you get on.

Will do. Are you getting the full amount? Did you stop getting payments when your stamps ran out?

Will do. Are you getting the full amount? Did you stop getting payments when your stamps ran out?

Ya 204.30 a wk,ya once your stamps run you stop getting payment and you have to wait while they process you for jba if you applied for it that is,which you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

Once your stamps run out and you apply for jobseekers allowance, if you are living at home, you are assessed on your parents earnings so if they have well paying jobs you might be entitled to very little. Stupid I know but thats the welfare system for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

gwhiz wrote: »
    Once your stamps run out and you apply for jobseekers allowance, if you are living at home, you are assessed on your parents earnings so if they have well paying jobs you might be entitled to very little. Stupid I know but thats the welfare system for you.

only if you are under 25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Totally forgot about my stamps running out, no mention of it at signing last time, no letter no nothing except an empty back account this morning :mad:

Gonna go over and see them now soon, but im pretty much screwed until i get job seekers allowance, which will probably take months the way things are.

Is there any way to get money off them in the mean time ??? Or else it'll be a diet of fresh air and water for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You can go to the community welfare officer and get supplementary welfare allowance while you're waiting for your jobseeker's allowance claim to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Xiney wrote: »
    You can go to the community welfare officer and get supplementary welfare allowance while you're waiting for your jobseeker's allowance claim to come through.

when i asked the lady in the social welfare office about she almost laughed at me like good luck with that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well, if you've got no other income it's no laughing matter.

visit the cwo anyway. nothing ventured...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

My cousin went to the CWO and got supplementary payment while he was waiting on his means test. At his means test he was asked was he getting the payment from the CWO. My cousin said yes and the means test officer said "Good, I'd be wondering if you were able to survive 8weeks without it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

dlambirl wrote: »
    My cousin went to the CWO and got supplementary payment while he was waiting on his means test. At his means test he was asked was he getting the payment from the CWO. My cousin said yes and the means test officer said "Good, I'd be wondering if you were able to survive 8weeks without it"

You see, for me, thats an assumption on the behalf of the means test officer I would have a problem with.

The means test officer is basically saying "It would look like you are working if you didnt need the supplementary"

For me, the whole point of not looking for JSA after my JSB stamps ran out is because I was trying to GET OFF the Welfare system, as opposed to staying in the loop.

In the meantime, I eat at home, sleep at home, and have no money. Turning down the Supp should never be inferred proof of my being employed on the sly.

Advertisement