Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding birds

Options
  • 17-05-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

We use approx. 1kg/week of nuts/seeds etc. feeding wild birds in our (rural) area. Is this too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Depends really, is there waste on the ground?

I have been using close to that recently, the Wood pigeons, or rather, one of them, has figured that sitting or landing on the feeder for the tits (peanuts), causes it to collapse downwards..

Mainly putting out peanuts for tits now, along with sunflower seeds, because I love to attract Finches into the garden. Stopped everything else, there's enough grubs, foliage etc to keep the birds going.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Very little waste.... they scoff the lot :D:D

We were going to cut back but decided not to as there may be nesting birds depending on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Only thing I'd say is watch out for how much is on the ground -- we got mice that way.
    And the pidgeons cant get onto the bird feeders so they pick the stuff on the ground sometimes. Fat balls are good, less waste.

Advertisement