Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost/method of transporting my dog to australia

Options
  • 17-05-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

has anyone had any experience of sending a dog to australia? i have the permit etc and know what i need to do when he gets there.

I am trying to work out the best and cheapest way to transport him. I had a quote for 2K from a cargo company. Is it cheaper/easier to book him direct with the airline? do the cargo company do anything extra for the dog than the airline do? is there an easy way of calculating the size of the cage required (and therefore the cost)?

thanks!

Ruth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I know Watna was looking at bringing a cat from NZ to Ireland in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501677 -- there might be some useful info in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/pets.htm

That link will give you info on cage sizes for shipping by air.

I've only transported my pets between UK / France / Ireland, but generally going with a specific pet shipping company will cost you substantially more than doing it yourself. It depends if you want the hassle though, since shipping companies will often do a door to door service for the animal's delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rcard

thanks for that, Moondancer, do only some airlines fly pets? i would have to fly via heathrow probably so would need that leg to be with an airline that flies pets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Not all airlines will carry animals, and you have to make sure you go an approved route. Dublin and Shannon are the approved routes for animals from Ireland (I think!) and as far as I'm aware, Aer Lingus and BMI fly between Heathrow and Dublin. I don't know if Aer Lingus allows animals to be shipped, but pretty sure BMI will carry dogs between Heathrow and Dublin. Heathrow is approved to export animals to Australia, but you'd have the find an airline that offers it since I'm not sure for that leg of the journey (and it will depend if you are going to Sydney, Melbourne or Perth).

Make sure it's a direct flight between UK and Australia though, becuase animals are only allowed to change plane in rabies-free countries. Also remember that connecting flights can cause complications like animal being sat around for a long time or (worse!) missing connecting flight.

You can also see www.ipata.com for pet shipping companies if you decide to go that route.

Advertisement