Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wash/paint damage

Options
  • 17-05-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

OK, I know automatic car washes are ill-advised but
    I've used one in the distant past with no problems and I was in a hurry:o...

The brush on LHS must have been soiled - numerous v. light swirl marks and at least one long hair-line scratch down to the white primer. Is there anything that can be done for a reasonable cost that does not involve re-spraying?

It was an Apple garage. Presumably they have a 'damage at owners risk' sign up somewhere and asses covered...

Car is black BTW...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

A photo would help. Subaru factory paint is very soft, so I'd stay well clear or filling station washes in future and use a lambswool mitt instead. If it is down to the primer, applying several coats of touch up paint (built up in layers), followed by a polish is the only thing which might sort this out. Other than that it is a smart repair or respray. You can get kits online from Dr Colorchip that essentially do the same thing. Success would really depend on how bad the scratch is though. A good polish would sort out any light swirls. Although if they are moderate to heavy ones, machine polishing would be necessary, other than filling them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

try some t cut and a bit of good old elbow greass

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

yeah best bet here is to go with the coloured T-cut and polish it up. May need a few goes over time it will fade down. Cheaper then having it re-sprayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

My local panel-beater has a good reputation. We have a few little jobs over a couple of vehicles I'm gonna try and cut a deal and get them all done once and for all.

The rear bumper got grazed by 2 different red '95 Fiat Cinqucentos in 2 seperatate incidents! (Spooky or what?!:eek:). There was red grazes on both sides of the bumper at one stage!

Thanks lads, any more suggestions appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

T-Cut is a waste of time for deep scratches where your fingernail catches. And the last thing you want to do is repaint a '08 car. If you are sure the primer coat hasn't been broken, well then it shouldn't rust. If it has it most certainly will if left as is. What I would suggest is you either get the kit online or a professional smart repair only, not a full respray. If it is only a hairline size in width (however long) you could also fill it in (gradually) with touch up paint using a toothpick (avoid overfilling or blobs) or else put some paint in a syringe, place the needle in the scratch itself and slowly feed the paint into the scratch. Allow it to dry for several hours before polishing the area to blend in the repair. As for your friendly Fiat's, if red paint is all that is on the bumpers, no other white marks, grazed or scuffed paint (just paint transfer), then it will polish off with a chemical paint cleaner.

And as an aside the colour coded side skirts on Subaru's deteriorate quicker than any other paint on the car, so keep them sealed or waxed fairly regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

TomMc wrote: »
    T-Cut is a waste of time for deep scratches where your fingernail catches. And the last thing you want to do is repaint a '08 car. If you are sure the primer coat hasn't been broken, well then it shouldn't rust. If it has it most certainly will if left as is. What I would suggest is you either get the kit online or a professional smart repair only, not a full respray. If it is only a hairline size in width (however long) you could also fill it in (gradually) with touch up paint using a toothpick (avoid overfilling or blobs) or else put some paint in a syringe, place the needle in the scratch itself and slowly feed the paint into the scratch. Allow it to dry for several hours before polishing the area to blend in the repair. As for your friendly Fiat's, if red paint is all that is on the bumpers, no other white marks, grazed or scuffed paint (just paint transfer), then it will polish off with a chemical paint cleaner.

And as an aside the colour coded side skirts on Subaru's deteriorate quicker than any other paint on the car, so keep them sealed or waxed fairly regularly.

Wow, you know your stuff, thanks. Sometimes the internet is great:)

Advertisement