Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is now the time to get a fixed mortgage?

Options
  • 17-05-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can the interest rates get any lower? Just wondering what people think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've been looking into fixing, 1/2/3 year rates are not good value at all. 5/10 year rates of 4.25% or lower are fairly good (especially 10 year). The problem is the standard variables are very low and i would expect them to be very low for the next 18 months, that means paying a premium now for the advantages down the road. The premium you will be paying for the next 18 months could be alot if you have a standard variable of around 2.5%.

Its possible that the ECB could drop below 1%, but that does not mean long term fixed rates will drop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Here is a general tip.

If you do not have a particular reason for fixing, I do nt think you should. The reason is that fixing is an expensive product. Over the course of the loan, it is most likely going to cost you more on average than if you had not fixed.

Rather than fixing, consider whether you could begin to make larger payments now during a time of low interest rates. When/if interest rates go up, or when something happens to you that stops you paying, you will be ahead on your payments, and you will be able to cut back on them without a default.

Not for everyone, but it might help some people. You should get financial advice, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The ECB did indicate that they are not going below 1%. Basically you have 6 months to think about fixing at a low rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lets put it this way. The economists in banks dont set fixed rates at a level whereby the banks may lose out.

There is absolutly no reason ever to fix your rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonbon666

Many thanks for the advise from everyone, it has definitley given me food for thought :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement