Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tic on dog

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi guys i have a 3 year old springer today i came across a tic on his back and my super hero father decided he'd pull it out himself n afterwords informed me he had already pulled 2 others out one from he's neck just been haven a look where the one on his back came from and now im afraid hes left the head of the tic in and dont no what to do any advice people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

pulling tics is no good jose

you need to burn them bastards off, light a match and hold it against them. you could try covering the dog with a rug or something while you carry out this little 'procedure'

but they will stay embedded into the skin unless you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Don't burn them off.

You can get little tick remover things - pretty much like a really small nail bar, that you put under them and twist them out.
    I bought one only today for my our pair as I found a tick on them after being on the hills yesterday.

If you burn them the tick can "vomit" what its got in it back into the skin, thus sending whatever bacteria is in it into the host.

I also wouldnt like to burn the tick off if it was on me (yep I have had tick in the past) so wouldnt fancy burning it off a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mightymouse311

dont think id burn it of any way mate im a bit of a butcher in some ways but i like my dog n dont want to scare the sh1t out of him where'd you get the tic puller ill get one for the future

dont think id burn it of any way mate im a bit of a butcher in some ways but i like my dog n dont want to scare the sh1t out of him where'd you get the tic puller ill get one for the future

It's an O'Tom Tic Twister, cost £4.82 at the vets.
    I havent found any since (and hope I dont need to use it). Looks very easy to use too. Even a butcher could manage it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mightymouse311

just had a look on youtube at it looks a good little tool ill be getting myself one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is at least just as good
    https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/flea_and_tick_protection/tick_protection/129907

plus it's cheap and you can buy several and put them into all sorts of pockets so you always have one with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

pulling tics is no good jose

you need to burn them bastards off, light a match and hold it against them. you could try covering the dog with a rug or something while you carry out this little 'procedure'

but they will stay embedded into the skin unless you do this.

don't user this method it's completely wrong and may increase likelihood of infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Why are there so many ticks these days?

I take several off our long haired cats every day now, and find them heading in my direction also off them.

It is simple with practice to put a tissue over them and pull them out. You can feel them letting go and see the little mouth parts also.

The dogs occasionally get them and the same method works.

It is only the last five years that there have been so many.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

They can give you Lymes disease when removing the ticks wear surgical gloves that if possible, come over our forearms.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30725967/

Be careful when removing the ticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are more around because I guess the weathers warming up (well sort of warming up) enough for the grass to grow like mad it's just that time of year for creepie crawlies to attach themselves to dogs and cats etc.

As said be careful when removing them, you can frontline the dog or pop some Advocate on to help prevent more and perhaps for the next couple of months do it every 4 weeks if he's out a lot in the long grass.

The oulds dog became ill last year, the tic had already dropped off never even saw the tic on the dog and she's handled all the time. She suddenly became weak and her back legs started going from under her, she started to shake and just wanted to lie down and sleep.
    Vet gave her a shot of something and she was fine after 24 hours but she went down so suddenly was very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

is there a vaccine for ticks.? Like to kill them when they attach to the dog/cat.?

evogirl wrote: »
    is there a vaccine for ticks.? Like to kill them when they attach to the dog/cat.?

As Guineapigrescue said, you can use preventative measures to (try to) prevent ticks attaching in the first place.

I use Prac-tic on our two.

I rang the vets at the weekend to see if I could get a shampoo or wash because I found one on each of the dogs (hadn't attached yet) and wanted to stop anymore from biting into them. I had only put Prac-tic on them the day before so the nurse said that the ticks shouldn't attach themselves to the dogs; she said that the tick needs to be actually attached before a shampoo will work.

Not too sure about whether you can get a vaccine to kill them, though you may be able to get a vaccine to prevent the diseases they carry.

Advertisement