Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing banks?

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

What happens to clothes left into a clothing banks. Do they go to a dump, or to charity shops, or to people in need in developing countries.

I got a sudden urge to clean. I started to organise my clothes. I've a load of clothes I'm finished wearing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Some are recycled, some go to charity shops - it normally says what will happen to them on the side of the collection bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hi
    If the clothes are in good condition I prefer to give them to a charity shop or freecycle them. Sometimes I wonder if clothes stay clean and dry in the clothes banks.

BTW, I have read that many door-to-door collectors are private businesses exporting to the developing world.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

BTW, I have read that many door-to-door collectors are private businesses exporting to the developing world.

David

I've yet to see a door to door collection with a Charity number. They all have waste collection reg numbers. I would never give anything to them.

The clothing banks generally are for a particular charity or set of charities - which should be on the side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Hi

They are always for "charity" but its a scam total and utter and the clothes are sold!!! I generally give them to SVP or Enable Ireland, both good causes... Also get a few good bargians in Enable Ireland:) Does defeat the purpose of getting rid of clothes though!

Advertisement