Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog caught a mouse

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

My dog caught and killed a mouse in our garden today. I feel squeamish about letting her lick me now as I'm afraid of the germs! :o My dog was salivating quite a bit when she caught the mouse but I didn't see any blood or anything.
    I sprayed her mouth with the hose and got her to drink some water.
    Am I being germphobic? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I sprayed her mouth with the hose
    :D I laughed at the mental picture!!!:D
    I'm sure there wont be (m)any germs left at this stage. Kiss away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭FabulousGirl

LOL!
    She's a little Cavalier so it wasn't hard to get her to let me spray her!

I admit I did scream and run away from her when I saw the mouse hanging out of her mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

if you're germaphobic i'd suggest avoiding doggy kisses altogether... they eat poo fgs!

My lad tried chewing a poor defensess baby rabbit last night up the hills. Luckily enough I was close enough to him to pull the poor little saliva covered craytur out of his gob!

NOTE: Rabbit was ok! So was dog!

PinkTulips wrote: »
    if you're germaphobic i'd suggest avoiding doggy kisses altogether... they eat poo fgs!

But my doggy is SO CUTE! :D

I'm not germphobic really, I'd allow my dog to lick me but I don't want any germs from the dead mouse on my face/hands. I'll allow her to continue administering the doggy kisses but just wondering how long should I leave it?

• Advertisement

kildara wrote: »
    My lad tried chewing a poor defensess baby rabbit last night up the hills. Luckily enough I was close enough to him to pull the poor little saliva covered craytur out of his gob!

NOTE: Rabbit was ok! So was dog!

Oh poor bunny! I let my dog off the lead in the park and she likes to chase squirrels. Luckily for me she hasn't managed to catch any (yet). Getting the dead mouse out of her mouth was traumatic enough for me.

Aye, yet!!

I think he was thinking "Cool, a toy. Why does it run. Why does it squeal"
    I did feel very guilty though. But I was very glad to see the little critter running away -albiet covered in doggy drool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Your racist. Just cos it was a mouse doesnt mean its dirty lol. Seriously though. I imagine after hosing down the dog it should be ok to receive your kisses as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I'm so sorry but I really am laughing at the image of the dog being washed
    down with the hose after... It really sounds like something I would do :)
    A little phobia of germs has never harmed anyone and as long as you don't start scrubbing your dog down everytime you go near her I think it's perfectly normal.

A little caution is probably a good thing esp when you can't help but read and hear about all the new emerging infectious diseases spreading all the time. :o

(I work in research with bugs so am prob as germophobic as they come:rolleyes: )

seanybiker wrote: »
    Your racist. Just cos it was a mouse doesnt mean its dirty lol. Seriously though. I imagine after hosing down the dog it should be ok to receive your kisses as usual.

Those dirty mice, coming over here and stealing our jobs and harrassing my dog! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

[quote=But my doggy is SO CUTE! :D

.................yes, and a mouse killer :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

At least she didn't bring home the entire hind leg of a whitetail deer.

..I have interesting memories of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

hmm........how about a dead,rotten rabbit with maggots dropping off it... presented to me with pride, but then had to be chased to take it off her lol :eek:
    ahhh yes......the memories :eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

LOL:D Poor dog probably thought he was doing great things!!
    Im not germaphobic but Id be a little hesitant about letting a dog lick my face anyway... they lick their own arses! :o
    Your story reminded me of a dog I owned as a kid! I also had pet mice who I used to bring outside sometimes and let them swim in the pond!:o (That sounds a bit cruel now but they seemed to enjoy it!) One day my dog 'Timmy' came along and stuck his head down into the pond and grabbed the mouse! He looked at me, tail sticking out of his mouth and a big guilty look on his face before running off up the garden!! I chased him for a bit and when i eventually caught him the tail was still swirling from his mouth, I eventually got him to open his mouth and there was the mouse sitting on his tongue frightened for his life but unharmed!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

But my doggy is SO CUTE! :D

....I'll allow her to continue administering the doggy kisses but just wondering how long should I leave it?

Are these french kisses? LMAO!!!!!

Are these french kisses? LMAO!!!!!

I always tell her no tongue but you know what dogs are like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Risarow

My dog caught and killed a mouse in our garden today. I feel squeamish about letting her lick me now as I'm afraid of the germs! :o My dog was salivating quite a bit when she caught the mouse but I didn't see any blood or anything.
    I sprayed her mouth with the hose and got her to drink some water.
    Am I being germphobic? :o

Ok, so let's get this straight............. Dogs will eat/lick sh1t, other dogs arses, their own arses, puke, dead things, and you're worried about a mouse..... think about that next time your little darling is licking your face :rolleyes:

Risarow wrote: »
    Ok, so let's get this straight............. Dogs will eat/lick sh1t, other dogs arses, their own arses, puke, dead things, and you're worried about a mouse..... think about that next time your little darling is licking your face :rolleyes:

No need for the sarcastic, nasty attitude but thanks for giving your 2c on this anyway... :rolleyes:

No need for the sarcastic, nasty attitude but thanks for giving your 2c on this anyway... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry FabulousGirl if I hurt your feelings but I was only pointing out that dogs will eat things that you may not find pleasant, they will then gladly lick your face, if you allow them to.
    I don't consider that to be sarcastic or nasty.

I'm sorry FabulousGirl if I hurt your feelings but I was only pointing out that dogs will eat things that you may not find pleasant, they will then gladly lick your face, if you allow them to.
    I don't consider that to be sarcastic or nasty.

I'm well aware dogs will eat anything and everything they can get their paws on. I've been around dogs all my life. I've never had one catch and kill something in my presence before and I posted here looking for other people's advice on what to do about her licking me. I love my dog and am not going to stop her doing, what is to me, an acceptable part of dog behaviour.
    Your "little darling" comment and roll eyes seem sarcastic and nasty to me.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware dogs will eat anything and everything they can get their paws on. I've been around dogs all my life. I've never had one catch and kill something in my presence before and I posted here looking for other people's advice on what to do about her licking me. I love my dog and am not going to stop her doing, what is to me, an acceptable part of dog behaviour.
    Your "little darling" comment and roll eyes seem sarcastic and nasty to me.

You've been around dogs all your life and you know what they eat and lick but still you post asking about your dog licking you ????????
    I'm sure we all love our dogs but not everybody considers a dog licking it's own arse and then licking your face as "acceptable part of dog behaviour"
    Once again, I'm sorry if you took offence, it was not my intention to offend.

You've been around dogs all your life and you know what they eat and lick but still you post asking about your dog licking you ????????
    I'm sure we all love our dogs but not everybody considers a dog licking it's own arse and then licking your face as "acceptable part of dog behaviour"
    Once again, I'm sorry if you took offence, it was not my intention to
    offend.

I posted here because she had a dead mouse in her mouth. I'm not familiar with what germs/bugs etc are native to mice and what she could have picked up and passed on to me by having a dead mouse in her mouth.
    Dogs lick, it's what they do, that is what I meant by accepable behaviour. It's part and parcel of owning a dog, at some point they are going to try to lick you. It's a sign of affection amongst other things. I'm sure as a human you, like everyone, have many disgusting habits that you think are perfectly normal/acceptable but that other people might find questionable.
    Anyway I've since allowed my dog to lick me since yesterday's incident so this thread is now defunct. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It's a sign of affection amongst other things.
    I always go around licking people that I love. Their used to it now. Still get funny looks when I hump their legs though.

Good to hear ya let your baby lick your face again. Your right about it been as sign of affection. I love when they do it. They cant talk so they may aswell lick or hump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My dog caught and killed a mouse in our garden today.
    Maybe your dog was attempting to get in touch with her alter-ego (i.e., cat)?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Our dog cornered a mouse; when I realised she was planning to play with it I took it off her; poor wee thing was all wet with saliva and bewlidered when I released it. Sat there on the wall and looked at me. So i told it never to come back indoors and to tell all its mates the same.

The dog was furious.

One of our cats brought in a headless hare once; always wondered who got the head.

Hate any of them licking me, especially my face and they do anything to try.....

Advertisement