Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noise coming from Headlight (yes headlight!)

Options
  • 16-05-2009 6:54pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 03 Fiesta, and whenever i turn on my headlights (dipped or full), the passenger side light, squeaks continously. It's driving me nuts. It stops when i
    a) turn the car off
    b)don't have the lights on
    c)when i have the lights on the lowest setting.

Any advice/suggestion? I don't want to bring this to a garage if there is a really obvious solution!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Can you adjust the level of the beam? There is a leveling dial at your headlight controls in the car. Maybe the mechanisim is faulty inside the headlight. There are no other moving parts I can think of.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hal1 wrote: »
    Can you adjust the level of the beam? There is a leveling dial at your headlight controls in the car. Maybe the mechanisim is faulty inside the headlight. There are no other moving parts I can think of.

I'll give that a go. Thanks.

/edit

Just tried that, it seems to be the left light if jammed or not moving as the right light adjusts fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I had the exact same problem with a peugeot and it was the headlight adjuster thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem with a peugeot and it was the headlight adjuster thing.

Annoying isn't it? Was it easily fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Might be moisture getting inside the lens, and being heated by the bulb. As it escapes, it'll squeal through seals and stuff. Lol, headlight fluid indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There are two adjusters that control the vertical and horizontal axis of the lens They can be adjusted manually with a philips head driver. You could try half turn each way to see if it dislodges anything that is stopping it from moving. But try not to get carried away as you will knock out the alignment and blind other drivers, and we don't want that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It sounds like a headlight beam adjuster motor unit. I'm not sure if just replacing this unit will fix the issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

What about the old reliable wd40 , that might help it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

lordgoat wrote: »
    Annoying isn't it? Was it easily fixed?

I think what was wrong with mine was the headlight jammed
    and the motor was trying to move it.

what I did was move the adjuster untill the noise stopped,what I think I done by doing that is move the adjuster to the level the headlightis at jammed.

Advertisement