Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet dog smell

Options
  • 16-05-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

It would probably be very easy to frame my problem, oooooops, did I say "my" problem, I've been -ahem- "instructed" to correct this to "our problem", in terms of male v's female bur I'd rather just get the benefit of everyone's experience on here with the wet dog scent problem in our house. Now while some of you may say that dogs do not belong in the house, our dogs form part of our house and that's where they belong. However, being rural, free range and often my shooting and hunting companion dogs, they regularly get wet what with our Summer weather, clear streams, murky ponds, not to mention the mud magnets they've become. They are very good at cleaning themselves and really enjoy a good warm shower.... but how do I eliminate or even reduce the wet dog smell in our house please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Wash the dog with shampoo once in a while?

I always kinda liked the smell. It went with a fun family day out when I was younger.
    Every day I would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

fluffer wrote: »
    Wash the dog with shampoo once in a while?

This is done about once a month in a warm shower.... both dogs enjoy it seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

There is a strong smell off my dog when she is damp and it hangs around the house for a few hours after she has been dried. I find incense sticks or scented candles a great temporary measure. I highly recommend Yankee Candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just give them a really good brushing and pop some doggy deoderant on them you can get various kinds some help condition the coat. I have an apple and mint one once the dog is given a brush and you just spray on or rub some on your hands first and then brush it through the coat it's not like the powders or aerosol (sp?) sprays it's subtle but freshens up their coat.
    Can't remember the name of it has the name Green or Greens in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

sometimes even the cleanest dog....when it becomes wet.....has that "wet dog smell"
    once a month is more then enough for a bath so just use candles as suggested.
    not mad on that doggy odour either:P
    i use safe4 pets disinfectant in my yard and they also do an odour eliminater spray which smells like bubble gum....its mmmmm
    well worth investing in:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭FabulousGirl

Doggy deodorant is great. Masks the stinky wet dog smell really well. The one I use smells a bit like baby powder.

Advertisement