Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ubuntu difficullty geting nvida up

Options
  • 16-05-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

nvida 7300 le problem
    well I cant get it working
    system admin hardware drivers shows 4 drivers (180(173(96(177
    of which 180 is reccomended
    I click activate 180 and a downloading and installing window appears and remains on 0%

and I cant exit it after a while I manage to force quit
    when I do and try to go into hardware drivers again it just remains on the inital searching for drivers box

where do I start to get my card to work?

tis 8.10
    and ubuntu forums aint much help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i'm a n00b to linux myself, but ive had this same problem, the first time it remained at 0% because i hadn't the mains connected to laptop,
    then i ditched ubuntu for sabayon 4.0 its bloody awesome, has all the nvidea and wireless drivers built in, there was nothing to download, and it has compiz and all the goodies you want pre built into it ready to go, and its as easy to use as ubuntu, both kde and gnome version available, i'd recommend it over ubuntu any day http://www.sabayonlinux.org/, sorry i haven't really answered your question tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

That's always worked OK for me, are you sure you gave it enough time? It may be the Nvidia servers are busy or unavailable.

You can manually download the very latest drivers using this how-to here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6235436&postcount=1

It's not too difficult but make sure you write down or print out the instructions first. If you have any trouble just ask.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know anythign about your specific problem, but I've never had a (nvidia) graphics driver problem which I couldn't solve using envy.

I think they install it by default,try running sudo envyng -t from a terminal. If it's not installed then sudo apt-get install envyng-core envyng-gtk and run it thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Bare in mind the Nvidia drivers you download from the webpage are buggy and cause freezes but the newer ones are ok, but the odd bad rendering of text. Nothing major though.

Try this:

Remove anything nvidia first so you clean. Do this in a terminal
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx* nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
    sudo apt-get --purge remove $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia | awk '{print $2}')

Next, download this:
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.53-pkg0.run from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.53/ in to your home directory ~/

Open up a session pressing CTRL+ALT+1
    [B]$ cd ~/[/B]
    [B]$ chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.53-pkg0.run[/B]
    [B]$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop[/B]
    [B]$ sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.53-pkg0.run[/B]

Let that install, when it asks to run nvidia-config say yes so it writes to xorg.conf.

Reboot and you should be fine. You might also like to install Nvidia setting so you can change stuff.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Oh that...

Progress bars are nothing but bull****. Nvidia's bar only has 2 positions, IIRC... 0% and 100%. It sits at 0 while downloading,, and then rockets up when it installs it/ It'll usually take quite a while to download, since it's a big file.

Leave it for a bit, it should be fine.

Try again OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

interested,posting to get email alerts when/if thread updates

Dartz wrote: »
    Oh that...

Progress bars are nothing but bull****. Nvidia's bar only has 2 positions, IIRC... 0% and 100%. It sits at 0 while downloading,, and then rockets up when it installs it/ It'll usually take quite a while to download, since it's a big file.

Leave it for a bit, it should be fine.

Try again OP

Fully concur with Dartz. The progress bar is a bit of a joke and bear in mind that the nvidia driver is a fairly sizable download so I'd just leave it alone for a while and have a cup of tea or coffee.

Advertisement