Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gigs/venues

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Can anyone tell me where is the best spots for live music in there home towns?we are currently trying to organise a mini Irish tour for late this year and are hoping with the help of other musicians out there they could tell us what pubs/clubs/venues are doing music in towns like the following Athlone, Mullingar, Ballinasloe, Westport, Galway City, Ennis, Tralee, Cork City, Waterford, Arklow/bray, Carlow town, Kilkenny City, Naas, Dublin city, Dundalk/Drogheda, Cavan etc and anywhere in between if you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Des Claypool

hey man all i know is around dublin so:

Fibbers
    Button factory
    Village
    Whealans
    A lot of bands play in doorans but i'd advise against it as it has poor sound.
    voodoo was good but i heard its been closed??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

Hey there,

There's a good few venues in and around Dublin. Here's a short list:

Radio City, Store Street - A really nice venue. Very clean and brilliant sound. It's a bit out of the way, which can be a problem. Close to Conolly Dart Station and Busáras.

Eamonn Dorans, Crown Alley - A decent venue. I have had experiences where it has smelled of puke and diahrriah!! Serious! The owners can be dicks too! The venue has got a great rep, and is very well located, but I would reccommend staying away.

Thomas House, Thomas Street - I have not been here, but I've heard many good things about it. I'm not sure what it's like to run a gig here though.

Whelan's/The Village, Wexford Street - A decent venue, The Village upstairs is expensive, but a FABULOUS venue!

The Button Factory, Curved Street - Lovely place to play, ideally located, and a large venue. The only problem is the high rent costs! :( It's also worth noting that the venue is part of the Temple Bar Music Centre.

Fibber Magees, Parnell Street - Again, I've never played here, but I've heard good things about it. It's just off O'Connell Street too!

The Think Tank, Eustace Street - I have only been here once, watching a gig, but I must say, it's a very pleasant venue. I'm eager myself to put something on here. Pictures can be found on their website.

The Music Loft, Abbey Street - A new venue on Abbey Street. I don't know much about this place either, so I can't say much.

I'm sure I've left a lot of places off this list, so I am sorry. In response to jamjamjims post, yes, the Voodoo Lounge is indeed closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jamjamjim

Thanks for the heads-up,I've played in dorans before but have to say,not mad about the place,really could do with a face lift! any other suggestions guys keep them coming, it's s**t hard trying to set up a tour in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

jamjamjim wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up,I've played in dorans before but have to say,not mad about the place,really could do with a face lift! any other suggestions guys keep them coming, it's s**t hard trying to set up a tour in this country

Yeah, it really is rediculous! I think that the all-ages and over 18s divide adds to all the trouble too. Maybe if you look around for a band of a similar genre, you could go and ask them if you could go with them. Maybe you could also ask some other bands who have been on tour for some advice!

Anyway, best of luck with your tour.

-Martin.

P.S, who's your band? Do they have a Bebo, MySpace, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭iHeartRyanAdams

defianately go for pravda in dublin or the village or whelans, i've played radio city and purty kitchen and both of which were pretty shoddy venues tbh.
    locally(for louth) mcHugh's in drogheda is great and the creme de la creme imo, is the spririt store in dundalk, they really look after ya and its an excellent venue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MGilly84

Have you heard of cyprus avenue in Cork City, the likes of jerry fish and director and gemma hayes etc have played there its a fairly big name venue but they do take on unknowns as well. depending on how good ye are etc.

In Dungarvan in Waterford theres the Anchor, fairly good live venue busy pub.

Waterford City theres oxygen again not bad.

also cork: The Slate, The Quad, The Brog, An Cruscin Lan, Fred zeplins. would be all most do's for a few cork gigs. The Quad is on myspace submit a demo.

Hope this helps if your playin around cork or waterford gimme a pm to discuss maybe supportin ye or visa versa.

Advertisement