Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting A New Business In Kilkenny 2009.

Options
  • 16-05-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

As we are in the full blown throws of the biggest recession in a few generations, I would like to wish the very best of luck to anyone in Kilkenny and the general south east region who have put their faith in (whoever/whatever) themselves and started new businesses in 2009. Maybe you can add to this topic as you see and hear of new businesses starting up in Kilkenny in the months ahead.

Dominios Pizza, Green St.,
    The Vitamin shop in Rose Inn St
    Nu Shoes in John St moved to a bigger premises in what was the hairdressers across from Longs barbers.

I seen work going on in A-Z computers in rose in street this week.....builders in there doing work....so I wonder is there something going in there....it could do with a face lift as the it has been closed up for ages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Yeah it would be extremely hard to set up a successful business nowadays, I'd say a lot of the "success" would have to do with luck... I actually think that vitamin shop might do well though. Its the only shop in town at the moment that stocks a lot of sport/bodybuilding supplements, plus a lot of the foreigners are into that so most of their business would probably be polish and the likes.

Personally, I don't think Dominos will do well in this recessionary time. If you think about it Kilkenny is actually pretty small and already has 3 or 4 pizza places so I wouldn't see the point in setting up another.

At the end of the day I think you just have to find something thats not widely available in Kilkenny and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Kilkenny is actually pretty small and already has 3 or 4 pizza places

3 or 4 try 8 or 9 -

Theres Del papa's, Extreme, Pizza Hut, Mizzoni [or however it's spelled on Rose Inn St.] Uncle Sams, Supermacs [can't remember what their pizza place is called], Joes, Italian Connection, and now another one [I'm sure I forgot one]

Bunch of new places opened or existing places expanded. Theres that new retro furniture shop down in Irish town, the tattoo place at the top of john's street, new Italian opening on John's Street as well. New gallery on Williams Street and the Blackbird Gallery moved from a tiny one room space to a four floor space also on William street and started the Blackbird art lab for kids and adults art classes.

ztoical wrote: »
    3 or 4 try 8 or 9 -

Theres Del papa's, Extreme, Pizza Hut, Mizzoni [or however it's spelled on Rose Inn St.] Uncle Sams, Supermacs [can't remember what their pizza place is called], Joes, Italian Connection, and now another one [I'm sure I forgot one]

Oh yeah, now that I think bout it there are LOADS!

Well maybe its true when the say that more millionaires came outta the last recession than when times were good. Probably because people who lost their jobs (Me) have more time on their hands to follow through with their ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Great to see the new bussinesses opening.....as there seems to be several shop units vacant around and i think it just take the look off the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

good look to then all

• Advertisement

la trattoria opened on john st to there a good bit back

I cant make any sense out of your post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goquick

recession :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goquick

seriously there is lot of changes and and is good to see good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lidl have finally opened their store in Thomastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Stray Cat

To be honest i had a business in kilkenny for 5 years and just moved last year to a town 10 mins away. The biggest thing for many tenants in kilkenny is renting or leasing units is that they demand absurd rental payments. For me a i had set up in the first year in a smaller unit and kept overheads down,got the name out there and there the business grew to the point we needed a more high profile location. This proved to be a disaster!!!! The location was effected because of building work next door which closed the street pretty much for the full year,the footfall customer redemption fell by over 45% down on last years figs,our rent was 4 times what we originally were paying,the list goes on..In the end we were just paying the rentman! When the recession kicked in the bank decided not to let our over draft run over its limit,now untill then it normally would run over by a couple of thousand and its sorted itself by end of month. Thats stopped so it meant we have to either re-structure or put your hands up,i decided to not and am glad to say that things are coming back around..albeit slowing,thank god for loyal customers and offering competitive products along with exceptional customer service. So much for the CEB unless you are manufacturing they dont entertain any funding.

Stray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Apparently lidell are opening out in castlecomer....One has to wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What town did yu move to Stray Cat? Callan, Bagenalstown??

Often hear the same, rents in Kilkenny are out of kilter with the level of business going on. Just look at all the vacant units around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Stray Cat

We moved to Callan,and have to say the locals really got behiind us and supported us greatly,its daft having so many units empty in town surely would the landlords not agree to a 6 month lease with a getout clause or re-asignment back if things didnt work for them,he gets some rent,they kick start their business and everybodys happy,ome on surely they are not hanging on for the next tenant to pay their full asking price. When i went hunting first time the were looking for key money! Kilkenny was the 4th most expensive town for rent&rates after Dublin,Cork and limerick..Im sorry for sounding very downbeat about it but for anybody trying to make an effort to be self sufficient should be given a chance from the ground up. Eventually the hight street will be a boutique,cafe & restaurant hub and most of the other retail moving to retail parks and the like. Today for anybody going to ask for a business loan they must give a personal asset be it fiscal or a property etc to secure an amount over €30k. Who in their right mind would be in a position to do this. The risk i to great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'd say rent will tumble whenever the people who own industrial units realise that a unit earning them a grand a month is better than a unit valued at two but earning zero.

It's taking them a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

The Sweet Shop in one of those alleyways running off High Street is a nice new addition, looks clean and can attract lots of tourists!
    and theres that Vintage Shop in Irishtown, and theres a new workshop in the other alleyway..
    Good luck to them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Apparently lidell are opening out in castlecomer....One has to wonder why

Haven't heard that one. Why would you wonder why? They are popping up all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cos comer is a hole and not that big a place

Advertisement