Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help Please! Volvo s40 2003 belt problem

Options
  • 16-05-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi can someone help please, mad squealing noise from my car every now and again and someone said it may be the belts going, tonight on way home battery light came on and squeaking noise stopped so think belts might be gone. First question, garage open anywhere around Dublin 12 on a Saturday and 2 any idea the cost approx?
    Im a woman can you guess I havent a clue really but need it sorted asap.
    Would appreciate some clues.

Volvo s40 petrol 2003

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A belt or belts are probably just loose. The squealing noise is when it slips on the pulleys. The battery light going on would seem to indicate that it is a belt that drives the alternator, which charges the battery.

If so, shouldn't cost you much at all to have it tightened. A Fast Fit type place would probably look at it for you. Just tell them you think you have a loose belt and could they take a quick look.... Or you could try a local mechanic, if you can locate one. Sorry, don't know D12 area.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hollymutt

I have just been quoted 2-300 euro to have fan belt replaced and fitted? Surely this cant be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

That sounds a bit steep, replaced the alternator and power steering belts

on my Subaru, they cost €20. I take it the belts are still on, have you

checked the condition of them yourself, is the light still coming up on the

dash? With any luck the belt tensioner might only need adjusting if the belts

are still in good condition.

The battery light is coming on but the car is driving fine. Havent looked yet but I will have a look now and see if they are still intact. He said it would be for the labour!

Just had a look and the 2 belts are intact but down beside them I found a much smaller thiner belt snapped off, shredded infact? Anyone what this could be. Small thin black rubber belt positioned near the fan belts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd imagine it's no longer charging tha barttery, if the battery light is on. So be wary in case you get stuck some where with a dead battery.

€200 sounds very steep, did you get that quote off a main dealer? It's not a major job, so if I were you I'd get a quote from an indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Ring a few mechanic's its not a big job to replace an alternator belt, which

is gone in your case. Your car will be working off its battery alone until

you get it replaced.

ok thanks for that Ill get on to it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jody S

My sister has a 2003 S40 & she had a similar problem recently. I think the alternator runs on a seperate belt to the waterpump etc & if it comes off or breaks it will bring on the alternator light. In her case she drove the car from Waterford & it eventually brokedown with a flat battery just outside Greystones ,the AA towed her into the Volvo Garage Koping on the Naas Rd D12 which is probably close to you.She got sorted out for I think 150 euro.Battery was ok just needed charging.Try them,they probably have the parts in stock.

Let's know how you get on & what the problem was.
    Regards
    Jody

Hi all thanks for all the advice today. I got sorted, found a garage in Greenhills open all day Saturday and it was the alternator belts and got it done for 60 euro! Thrilled and car running like a dream again. All done an dusted in an hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

hollymutt wrote: »
    Hi all thanks for all the advice today. I got sorted, found a garage in Greenhills open all day Saturday and it was the alternator belts and got it done for 60 euro! Thrilled and car running like a dream again. All done an dusted in an hour and a half.

Good to hear! Beats paying €200 for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

hollymutt wrote: »

Was thinking €150 was a lot - I just got a very weird and quirky Saab fan belt and pulley done for €50!

Advertisement