Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to train to be a Dog Trainer??

Options
  • 15-05-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

A friend has asked me to find out does anyone know the best place to train to become a dog trainer? He is in the Dublin/Wicklow area.

Thanks for any help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's seminars and workshops here http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/home.php
    Not sure if they train people to become trainers but it might be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Thanks Guineapigrescue

I seem to be hitting a brick wall any time I try to find out about this. My friend has also come up with nothing in his area. He did get on to one place that told him they had already trained one person from his county and could not take him on???????? Elitist / clique-ish or what??

People seem very reluctant to share information on this, as if they have the whole market tied up and don't want anyone else in??

If anyone else has information we would be very grateful.

***Update since posting: Tara from Dog Training Ireland was a fantastic help and has pointed me in the right direction. Many thanks to her!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cesarbart

i recon its all experience i cant imagine that you can just do a course and your able to evaluate and read a dog like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

I agree Cesarbart.

I think it's something that should be done over a number of years, and that it should be accredited or affiliated to an official body.

There is no way a short course can give you a qualification that's worth a whole lot, if you don't have the follow up and practical training too. Then ongoing CPD (continued professional development) every year to retain your insurance and membership.

Advertisement