Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are parrolets good pets ?

Options
  • 15-05-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

any body have advice on keeping them ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have a pair of celestial parrotlets - they are in an avairy tho & live with my cockateils - not kept hand tamed ones of these tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Like a lot of birds parrotlets require a very varied diet to maintain good health, birds that end up living on seed end up with all sorts of health problems so a good varied diet is a must.

Space is important to, the largest avairy or cage you can afford. If housed in a cage they will require free flight daily in a bird safe room this is important for all caged birds general health and well being.

It's important to keep their housing and toys/food bowls etc. clean and plenty of varied sized perches to avoid any food problems.

For more specific details there's a good forum called tailefeathers which is worth logging on to and checking out other owners experiences etc.

One thing with any bird be prepared for noise, most pet birds are pretty noisy even the small ones and this can irritate some members of the household lol.

One of the most important things is to be near an avian vet, in an emergency it's a nightmare when a bird is sick otherwise because not all vets have enough expereince with birds.

For bird items, like perches/toys/foods etc. check out this site http://www.24parrot.com/ it's not cheap but setting up a bird home can be expensive esp. a decent cage.
    For cages do check out http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ their cages are much cheaper then their .ie site and cheaper than a lot of shops also they have a better selection.

This cage should be suitable for parrotlets or similar sized birds, I got one for my tiel and he loves it. rockysnewgaff.jpg

Although I wish it was bigger esp. wider but it wouldn't fit through the doorway we've limited space here hence why we got the wheels we can move him to various rooms without any trouble and the top side folds down so he can get in and out of it himself.

If you have an empty corner in a room one of those indoor corner aviarys work really well but are pricey. Also be careful where you place the cage, away from direct sunlight and away from kitchen fumes (tefal/non stick fumes amongst other things can kill birds) and also away from open fires the smoke can get to them.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hagan

Parrotlets are wonderful, i have a blue hen parrotlet who is a big part of the family!!! But read plenty about them and only buy from a good breeder who has it hand tame.
    i'm finding it a problem to find another one to buy so i hope you have better luck.
    They do almost every thing that bigger parrots do, but you can go out to work and leave them at home as long as you have plenty of toys for them and keep moving them around each day, they play very happley by them selfs till you come home. then you just let them out of the cage to enjoy each other company.
    I hope this helps

Advertisement