Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle tank over run with algae

Options
  • 15-05-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I have two turtles in a 36" long tank that's getting over run with algae. I have no where else for the tank other than on a window sill. Is there anything I can use to reduce algae? I can't use anything like fish as the turtles will just eat them.

Feeding is a problem because they both have different tastes, the big one eats everything that goes into the tank bar pellets while the small one only eats pellets. So there's allot of waste.

I change about 1/4 of the water every two days and clean the filter everyday. Im not sure I have the right type of filter though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey the fact that your tank is near a window sill is your problem.
    okay I have a few suggestions;

First of all do you add any salt to your tank? (I think it's called tonic salt you get it in the pet shop and add so much per gallon)
    I found this used to help when I got that problem.

Also do you have backing to your tank? You could put a dark backing to minimise the amount of sunlight into the tank.
    Consider someway to cover the top of the tank during daylight hours.
    Do you have blinds or curtains that you could pull to prevent the sunlight for a few hours a day?

You could get some guppys for the tank. Sometimes some survive for a few days/weeks with the turts and they are good bottom feeders.
    Even if they do end up being a tasty treat for your turts it will have been worth a try:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cheers Jen,

I'll try and get some salt tomorrow. don't have a backing, don't have curtains either. I don't want to block of to much sunlight because I don't have a UV lamp for them. I have one of those condensation trays covering the tank at the moment.

I'm not sure about the filter I got either I just bought it in a local shop assuming one's as good as another. I was fairly clueless about the turtles, the only reason I have them is because my sister abandoned them when she went to the UK so I took them and ended up having to buy all this stuff for them she just had them in a small goldfish bowl.

They're completely different animals now though, before they just sat at the bottom of the tank and did nothing, now their full of life and constantly begging for food. Although I'm not sure if their looking for food or attention. I didn't realize how active turtles where.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

you wont be able to control the algae with the tank on a window sill, algae trives in light, and UV cant penetrate glass

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

cos!! wrote: »
    you wont be able to control the algae with the tank on a window sill, algae trives in light, and UV cant penetrate glass
    Ok, taking into account this post is at 1:50am and I'm awful drunk. UV can't penetrate glass???

I can't move the tank at the moment. I'll need to have a frame made up. But if I move them away from the window I 'll need to get a UV light won't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Cheers Jen,
    I'll try and get some salt tomorrow. don't have a backing, don't have curtains either. I don't want to block of to much sunlight because I don't have a UV lamp for them. I have one of those condensation trays covering the tank at the moment.

Okay first of all you need proper UV light for them. Unless your going to bring them outside (and unless it's a really nice sunny warn day DONT!!) you have to get them UV.
    If they don't get UV light they can develop metabolic bone disease or there shells can become deformed.
    If you can't set up a UV light system for them you have another alternative.
    Good pet shops sell UV drops. They are not as good as the light but would be adequate.

I'm not sure about the filter I got either I just bought it in a local shop assuming one's as good as another. I was fairly clueless about the turtles, the only reason I have them is because my sister abandoned them when she went to the UK so I took them and ended up having to buy all this stuff for them she just had them in a small goldfish bowl.

Alot of people make the mistake of putting them in containers way too small for them. Basically pet shops want to unload them and wont give you the information you need.
    It happened to me with my first turt but I learned eventually how much work they require :)

One thing any turt owner prob can't stress enough is that you desperatly need a really good filter as they are very very dirty creatures!! (lovely and cute but create an awful lot of mess!)

Can I ask a few questions and I can prob help a bit more;
    What size tank do you have? (gallons?)
    What size are the turtles? (length of shell in inches )
    What do you have the water heated to?
    Adequate basking area? (what do you use? Dock? rock? other?)
    They're completely different animals now though, before they just sat at the bottom of the tank and did nothing, now their full of life and constantly begging for food. Although I'm not sure if their looking for food or attention. I didn't realize how active turtles where.

It's admirable that you took them in and really care about there welfare.
    Turts are lovely pets when cared for properly and your beginning to see that now so well done :)

Turts do like the attention and most people note that they do respond to you.

Be very careful not to over feed the turts. It's a mistake most people make. You give them enough food a day that would basically fit in there heads if they were hollow :)

Also what food are you feeding them? You may need to supplement the food with vitamins (can get in any pet sho drops/powder).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ok, taking into account this post is at 1:50am and I'm awful drunk. UV can't penetrate glass???

I can't move the tank at the moment. I'll need to have a frame made up. But if I move them away from the window I 'll need to get a UV light won't I?

yeah a lot of people make that mistake!its an easy one to make but uv light cant penetrate glass!maybe uva light can?but only magnifies the heat!uvb light (the more important one) needed for the production of vitamin d??its needed for calcium metabolism anyway!there is all different uvb percentages you can buy!but id go for a 5%!someone correct me if they need more or less than that

Advertisement