Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid NCT Question

Options
  • 15-05-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was under the impression that NCT certificates were issued for up to 2 years meaning the car wouldn't be due to be tested again for 2 years. My car is a 2001 and I imported it last summer and it went through it's first NCT last August. However my NCT certificate expires at the end of August this year.

Should it not be August next year when it expires?

Assuming the car passes it's NCT this year, can I expect another 1 year certificate or 2 years?

Also, is it really as hard to get an NCT date these days as I've heard? I've 3 1/2 months left before my NCT is up. I tried booking online but it said I had to phone some number to complete my request. No idea why. I haven't received any notifcation about needing to test the car again so maybe thats why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Its every 2 yrs from 1st reg (1st one at 4 years) so due for nct Aug , 05, 07 and now 09. Its not 2 years from when you get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hello,

I was under the impression that NCT certificates were issued for up to 2 years meaning the car wouldn't be due to be tested again for 2 years. My car is a 2001 and I imported it last summer and it went through it's first NCT last August. However my NCT certificate expires at the end of August this year.

Should it not be August next year when it expires?

Assuming the car passes it's NCT this year, can I expect another 1 year certificate or 2 years?

Also, is it really as hard to get an NCT date these days as I've heard? I've 3 1/2 months left before my NCT is up. I tried booking online but it said I had to phone some number to complete my request. No idea why. I haven't received any notifcation about needing to test the car again so maybe thats why?

The cert is for two years, starting from the fourth anniversary of the date of first registration, so it sounds like the system has got cocked up by your having an imported car. Don't wait for a notification -- they stopped sending them although their web site (last time I looked ) still said they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

just imported a car and getting it ncted tomorrow... its december 2001 it was registered so will it be up in december? or 2 years down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

destroyer wrote: »
    Its every 2 yrs from 1st reg so due for nct Aug 2003, 05, 07 and now 09. Its not 2 years from when you get it done.

That makes much more sense than what I read on the NCT site :)

Cheers.

PS: I think their website is a little inaccurate in other ways. I went to book online and it said you can book up to 16 weeks in advance but I when I tried to it told me to call them up. When I spoke to the girl on the phone she said it's 12 weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

afatbollix wrote: »
    just imported a car and getting it ncted tomorrow... its december 2001 it was registered so will it be up in december? or 2 years down the line?

If you test now its up in dec. if you can wait till dec/jan you will get 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

My friend imported his 2003 car last year, NCT'd it in Mar 08 and its due this Oct as the car was first registerd in Oct 2003.

Least we dont have to do it every yr like the northern MOT :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you test now its up in dec. if you can wait till dec/jan you will get 2 years
    If you get caught in the meantime and prosecuted it's 5 points on your licence and up to €1,500 fine.....

Not your ornery onager

Speaking of getting caught, I was driving home on Thursday and the cops were stopping people and checking either the tax, insurance and/or NCT discs on the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You can do it 3 months early I think, so if you get it done in September it should last until Dec 2011.
    esel wrote: »
    If you get caught in the meantime and prosecuted it's 5 points on your licence and up to €1,500 fine.....

And that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Speaking of getting caught, I was driving home on Thursday and the cops were stopping people and checking either the tax, insurance and/or NCT discs on the cars.

That's odd. Usually they check for all of them at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

LittleEve wrote: »

Least we dont have to do it every yr like the northern MOT :eek:

:D

unless you have a van!:(

That's odd. Usually they check for all of them at the same time.

I think I might have phrased this incorrectly. They were checking something, I don't know if it was all three or just one in particular.

Advertisement