Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City to Donegal: Best Route?

Options
  • 15-05-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

AA Roadwatch recommends that people take the N20, N18, N17, N4 to reach Donegal from Cork.

But how about taking the M8 up as far as junction 6 (Thurles), and then taking the N62 to Athlone, N61 to Boyle, and then the N4 to Sligo?

I think the latter route would be just as quick, if a little unconventional. Has anyone done it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Furet wrote: »
    AA Roadwatch recommends that people take the N20, N18, N17, N4 to reach Donegal from Cork.

But how about taking the M8 up as far as junction 6 (Thurles), and then taking the N62 to Athlone, N61 to Boyle, and then the N4 to Sligo?

I think the latter route would be just as quick, if a little unconventional. Has anyone done it?

Havnt travelled that route Furet but ....

M8 would eat up a bit of time but the N20 looks more direct. I have travelled from Limerick to Donegal several times and limerick to sligo every 2 or 3 weeks. Mostly good stretches of road dc from limerick- ennis, N4 relief road, knock and claremorris bypass. Some twisty S2 but not the worst either capable of 100km/hr at corners. Would take 3 and a half hours from Limerick to Donegal usually. The N20 can put anyone off driving it though!! Claregalway and Tuam are not as congested as one would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

A friend of mine lives in Letterkenny he always travels via Athlone on his way to Cork - reckons its the best route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Steviemak wrote: »
    A friend of mine lives in Letterkenny he always travels via Athlone on his way to Cork - reckons its the best route.

its an extra 5km so maybe with that part of the M8 completed it could be a good route especially with less traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Parts of the N61 and N62 aren't great and can be time consuming if caught behind slow traffic.

I'ved used both routes several times and would prefer the N20/N18/N17 route but it was pre M8 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With the M8 and D4, I think Athlone would be the best way now. Rather than go via Boyle, taking the N55 to the N4 much further east could work out better due to the bypasses / partial DC between wherever you join the N4 and Boyle. Google Maps does not agree with me, but it assumes you can keep constant speed limit the entire way...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Well Ennis is now bypassed as is Claremorris, much of the N17 is vastly improved. The N61 and Central roads up to Athlone are horrid. Having said that the M8 makes a huge difference.

Though I agree with Tech2, I HATE the N20. for the amount of traffic using it and how bad the road is, its just horrid.:mad: They should really Start with the M20 to Mallow section before the M17 IMO... I'm sick of this boherheen road....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I travel to Letterkenny once a month from Limerick and without doubt the Athlone/Boyle route is quicker. It's about an hour quicker compared to the Galway route. But saying that, I take the Galway route because I'm not as tired at the end of it. The Athlone route takes a lot of driving with a lot of twisties, but it's a fun drive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

Around here, the only good roads are the National Primaries. I assume this general rule applies in other areas as well.

Thusly, if I was going Cork-Donegal, the route I would probably take is:
    N/M8 Cork-Portlaoise > N80 Portlaoise to Kilbeggan > M6 East towards Tyrellspass > N52 to Mullingar > N4 Mullingar-Sligo > N15 onwards to Donegal.

I wouldn't suggest using the N55 out of Athlone as it's a variable-to-crap quality road (Ballykeeran is a ****ing kip, and that's just for openers) and you could easily spend 1 hour going Athlone-Edgeworthstown on it.

Advertisement