Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

deposit for a second hand car

Options
  • 15-05-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi

I paid a €100 deposit on a second hand car last Saturday, I told the garage that I would be collecting it the following Saturday , tomorrow!
    Rang the garage there now and they said the car was collected a few days ago, I said how I had a desposit put down etc. The guy I was talking too is to doublecheck and let me know.If it is a thing that they have it sold to someone else, Do Ii have any rights ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You'll get your deposit back if they have sold it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ncc98071

Would expect to get that surely.I have insured the car and all and I know that if I cancel this insurance will cost me €50 or near enough administration.Sickener if I loose this money from someone elses mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'd be suprised if you didn't have some rights in that case, surely after cash has changed hands you have a claim on ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Did you and the dealer sign anything?

No
    Nothing was signed, Cheap enough car I was getting

Presumed once deposit was paid I was okay

paid deposit through laser card so have record of payment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd be jumping up and down (politely) and insisting on the deposit returned plus the €50 for the admin fee.

If you signed nothing, then I don't know what your legal position is tbh.

heard back from teh garage there and they have sold the car to somebody else in error for sure.Well sickened
    Have to ring them back in a while, all I can do is get my deposit back and €50-€100 for admin on insurance policy.

real annoying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ncc98071 wrote: »
    heard back from teh garage there and they have sold the car to somebody else in error for sure.Well sickened
    Have to ring them back in a while, all I can do is get my deposit back and €50-€100 for admin on insurance policy.

real annoying

you will get your deposit back in full and your insurance premium in full too.
    all insurance policies come with a 14 day cooling off period and you get the full amount back if you cancel in writing within the time frame, or if you can get into the offices and cancel it ther and then.

i done this last week and just picked up a cheque this morning for my insurance in full, i cancelled it coz i got a much better quote and they couldnt match it.

Advertisement