Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Driving Certificate of Competency in the UK

Options
  • 15-05-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I'm driving to the UK next weekend.

I've just remembered I haven’t ordered by Full Licence but I have passed and have a my Certificate of Competency.

There will be 3 full licensed drivers with me in the car.

Do you think I'd be ok if I got stopped or am I asking for trouble.

I think it's too late to order one now.

Thanks
    Donal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

A certificate of competency is not a drivers license and as such you are not legally allowed to drive in the UK. If you've proof of travel [ferry booking, air line tickets, hotel booking etc etc] you can go down to the motor tax office and get your full license on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

irldonalb wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm driving to the UK next weekend.

I've just remembered I haven’t ordered by Full Licence but I have passed and have a my Certificate of Competency.

There will be 3 full licensed drivers with me in the car.

Do you think I'd be ok if I got stopped or am I asking for trouble.

I think it's too late to order one now.

Thanks
    Donal

Go to your local motor tax office and bring proof that you are travelling as well as all information required for your full licence. Smile and be nice and they can print one there and then. They can do it if they want to.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Go to your local MTO early and offer to pick it up later that day if necessary.
    irldonalb wrote: »
    There will be 3 full licensed drivers with me in the car
    .......which begs the question - why are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

A similar question!

I just passed my test today and got my certificate. I have yet to apply. do i still need a full license holder with me. I wouldn't think so but then again??
    I'm gonna pop into the cop shop but thought i'd ask here too???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A similar question!

I just passed my test today and got my certificate. I have yet to apply. do i still need a full license holder with me. I wouldn't think so but then again??
    I'm gonna pop into the cop shop but thought i'd ask here too???

This is something that i went directly to the RSA about, who informed me that technically you are not fully licensed until you have applied for your full license, as a cert of competency is not a license. So you need to be accompanied at all times, and cannot drive on motorways wtc.

Here's the question/response from the RSA, it's found in the sticky.
    Q.
    Does the Certificate of competancy entitle you to drive unaccompanied?
    A.
    Dear Alan,

I refer to your query regarding the a certificate of competency.

A person driving while they hold a certificate of competency must be accompanied by a qualified driver. When they have this certificate exchanged for a full driving licence they do not need to be accompanied.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

This is something that i went directly to the RSA about, who informed me that technically you are not fully licensed until you have applied for your full license, as a cert of competency is not a license. So you need to be accompanied at all times, and cannot drive on motorways wtc.

Here's the question/response from the RSA, it's found in the sticky.

cheers man that about raps that up. i'll apply pronto.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cheers man that about raps that up. i'll apply pronto.

No worries, but tbh, i sincerely doubt any Gard would actually do anything if you were stopped! But the above is the law, so it's up to yourself really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement