Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bible

Options
  • 15-05-2009 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

How do people here think the bible came into existence and why? My reasoning behind the bible is that it is simply a collection of fairly tails. Maybe in 3000 years time there'll be a group worshipping harry potter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's easy to see where the bible came from being from Ireland. I've seen how a simple story can spiral into unbelievable nonsense. Take St Pat driving the snakes out of Ireland, someone could have said that joking in the pub, someone else overheard it and took it as fact even though he has no idea what a snake looks like. I know plenty of people today that will go along with something they know is lies because everyone else is enjoying telling the story so much and they don't want to make the other person look like a fool.

I think many parts of the bible are grounded on real stories that people felt obliged to turn into over the top tall tales to make their god look more impressive. Jesus being a prime example of an ordinary man being turned into a god so his message gets spread. I don't think it was done maliciously or to gain power over the people just desperation and good story telling. Back then you could get away with telling tall tales.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sam Harris wonders in "The End of Faith", why no body worships Windows 2000.
    Obviously he's never met a Mac user. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There are a lot of people out there who believe it's just a set of tales, capable of myriad interpretations, in which many people find consolation, justification, a reason to live etc, while others find it -- intentionally or otherwise -- a useful power base from which to extend their control over the former.

There are plenty of religious tales out there, and most of them are very similar to each other, but the bible's undoubtedly the one that's ingratiated itself with humanity most successfully because it can be interpreted to say what the greatest number of people want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

How do people here think the bible came into existence and why? My reasoning behind the bible is that it is simply a collection of fairly tails.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=475017379969914449

Maybe in 3000 years time there'll be a group worshipping harry potter!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1557992/Harry-Potter-mania-peaks-as-hundreds-queue.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

5uspect wrote: »
    Sam Harris wonders in "The End of Faith", why no body worships Windows 2000. Obviously he's never met a Mac user. :pac:
    beards_laptops.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They're just old Supernero stories.

Hercules
    >Jesus
    >SuperMan

Only sons sent by their father yadda yadda yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

How do people here think the bible came into existence and why? My reasoning behind the bible is that it is simply a collection of fairly tails. Maybe in 3000 years time there'll be a group worshipping harry potter!

Hey, read the books! At least Harry is a thoroughly admirable character...more than I can say for god in the bible. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I think the reason the bible has failed as a decent read is it has an ending that will never come .....other than that i think harry potter actually copied "the autobiography of jesus"

For instance- jesus walked on water
    harry waved his wand and .....

jesus was a virgin
    harry potter was a virgin

jesus was special
    harry was special

Advertisement