Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sngs + fish

Options
  • 15-05-2009 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

So it's the early stages of a $30+$3 sng on FTP, let's say 20/40. I'm in late position, there's been roughly 2 or 3 callers. I hold KK. I raise it to 500 (fair enough?). Two people call me (??). Flop looks good for someone holding KK. Checked around to me. I shove. One calls. I lose. And no, he's not holding bullets fwiw.

So what am I doing wrong here? I'm getting idiots calling me with KQo, KJo, low pocket pairs, the lot. Do I shove it preflop? Is my raise too small? Am I right in shoving it after the flop?

Multiply this by about 10 and you'll get a picture of what I went through last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

this seems like a bad beat story cleverly disguised as a question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

this is a complete bad beat story, I have gotten destroyed many times like this
    if anything your raises are a little big preflop, and you want them to be calling with kq/kj off..... you are just going through a bad spell, the next spell will be you having queens and them always having an overpair, its poker... c'est la vie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Not at all! Just happened a number of times and I was wondering if my play was correct/incorrect so I can avoid the situation in the future. A few times after I did just shove my high pocket pair after a few limpers and no one called...I multi-table too so I had absolutely no reads on my opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

You are doing nothing wrong (well maybe your raise is a little bg pf, but if you are raising a tight range and they still call you light thats fine). You want to be called by worse hands when you have KK. Embrace the variance and move on, you should have huge +EV in spots like this

dougee19 wrote: »
    this is a complete bad beat story, I have gotten destroyed many times like this
    if anything your raises are a little big preflop, and you want them to be calling with kq/kj off..... you are just going through a bad spell, the next spell will be you having queens and them always having an overpair, its poker... c'est la vie

Cheers.

Not a bad beat story, genuinely looking for advice :D I usually raise it 3-4 bb's with a hand like that, a little more if there's been a number of limpers.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Thread is pretty much done now!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Raise less pf, there the one making the mistake in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Type in the chatbox '' i have KK'' then shove, 95% of the time you take it down pre-flop.

Win is a win.

:)

Chatboxes are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

not enough information here really. What are the players in the hand like? Have you information on them? if blinds are 20/40 and there are two limpers there is bout 140 in the pot? why are we raising to 500? is it to take pot now or do you want to see callers? i would not raise this much.

Importantly you have to remember that KK will lose sometimes thats poker. Your very early in the sng and this is a time of sngs when being a rock is benifical. What was your play after the flop. Did you lead out and Bet or did you open push? did you call/ what was the texture of the board?

this link has useful stuff on it. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/36/stt-strategy/

finally run better!!

• Advertisement

I'm multi-tabling so I have no reads on them whatsoever. Yeah I'm seeing that raising so much is actually retarded. But at least I know this now.
    What was your play after the flop. Did you lead out and Bet or did you open push? did you call/ what was the texture of the board?

It varied for the number of times it happened, but typically I made a pot sized bet if there was a flush draw/whatever. I think I shoved once after it was checked around to me. Idiotic move.

I can't provide hand histories as I'm in work but I'll try and throw up a few later today.

I'm multi-tabling so I have no reads on them whatsoever. Yeah I'm seeing that raising so much is actually retarded. But at least I know this now.

It varied for the number of times it happened, but typically I made a pot sized bet if there was a flush draw/whatever. I think I shoved once after it was checked around to me. Idiotic move.

I can't provide hand histories as I'm in work but I'll try and throw up a few later today.

i have been multitabling lately but make notes on players u would be suprised how often you met the same players. Multitabling is annoying as you can feel the world is hating you my tip is add more tables you will find that you get aces every 5 mins.

aodea wrote: »
    my tip is add more tables you will find that you get aces every 5 mins.
    :eek:

CHD wrote: »
    :eek:

plus one 10-15 tables u hit loads of sets! plus ur so busy u miss all the bad beats.

plus one 10-15 tables u hit loads of sets! plus ur so busy u miss all the bad beats.
    So thats the secret to winning?

Who said anything bout winning?

Who said anything bout winning?
    I did. See my question in post #16

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 30+3 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

MP3 (t1335)
    CO (t1530)
    Button (t1230)
    SB (t1470)
    BB (t1755)
    UTG (t1470)
    Hero (UTG+1) (t1500)
    MP1 (t1830)
    MP2 (t1380)

Hero's M: 33.33

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A:spade:, A:heart:
    1 fold, Hero bets t120, 5 folds, SB calls t105, 1 fold

Flop: (t270) 7:club:, 2:diamond:, Q:diamond: (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets t270, SB raises to t540, Hero raises to t1380 (All-In), SB calls t810 (All-In)

Turn: (t2970) 6:club: (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t2970) J:heart:(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t2970

Results:
    SB had 6:heart:, Q:heart: (two pair, Queens and sixes).
    Hero had A:spade:, A:heart: (one pair, Aces).
    Outcome: SB won t2970

Also, I presume my raise pf was ok?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 30+3 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

Hero (CO) (t1830)
    Button (t1510)
    SB (t2365)
    BB (t1550)
    UTG (t1800)
    MP1 (t2310)
    MP2 (t2135)

Hero's M: 15.25

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond:, A:club:
    UTG calls t80, 2 folds, Hero bets t320, 2 folds, BB calls t240, UTG calls t240

Flop: (t1000) J:diamond:, K:heart:, 8:club: (3 players)
    BB bets t80, UTG raises to t1480 (All-In), Hero raises to t1510 (All-In), 1 fold

Turn: (t4040) Q:heart:(2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t4040) 6:heart:(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t4040

Results:
    UTG had K:diamond:, Q:spade: (two pair, Kings and Queens).
    Hero had A:diamond:, A:club: (one pair, Aces).
    Outcome: UTG won t4040

Last one...

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 30+3 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

Hero (CO) (t1740)
    Button (t1365)
    SB (t2070)
    BB (t825)
    UTG (t1500)
    UTG+1 (t1500)
    MP1 (t1500)
    MP2 (t1500)
    MP3 (t1500)

Hero's M: 38.67

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:heart:, K:spade:
    2 folds, MP1 bets t120, 2 folds, Hero raises to t585, 3 folds, MP1 calls t465

Flop: (t1215) J:heart:, 8:spade:, 9:club: (2 players)
    MP1 checks, Hero bets t1155 (All-In), MP1 calls t915 (All-In)

Turn: (t3045) 4:diamond: (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t3045) Q:club: (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3045

Results:
    MP1 had J:club:, J:spade: (three of a kind, Jacks).
    Hero had K:heart:, K:spade: (one pair, Kings).
    Outcome: MP1 won t3045

• Advertisement

Why are you posting these hands here? There's a sticky for these hands

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

why are you posting standard hands

you got beat or two, welcome to playing SNG's

You generally are getting ur money in ahead which is al you can do. You want these people to call so let them u get there chips a ot more than they get urs.

platypus wrote: »
    Why are you posting these hands here? There's a sticky for these hands
    why are you posting standard hands

you got beat or two, welcome to playing SNG's

Because I wanted to see if what I was raising was ok, and when I was shoving was okay? Pretty much what this thread is about.

But yeah, fantastic input guys.

Because I wanted to see if what I was raising was ok, and when I was shoving was okay? Pretty much what this thread is about.

But yeah, fantastic input guys.

Not trying to have a go at you, sorry if it came across that way. Lots of people answered your original post, and you post another 3 hands which are pretty similar.

You seem from other threads to have a decent basic knowledge of how to play SNG's and I think you dont need me to tell you its ok to raise AA and KK preflop and also to get the money in on the flops you have posted above. You are just going through a patch where the cards are not running your way. This happens in SNGs , and you should be delighted guys are getting the money in against you with Q6 etc. Keep playing these type of hands the way you are, you will win money long term

Advertisement