Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want a car. What to get? Help me please

Options
  • 14-05-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

My budget will be 8000 but could possibly stretch it to 9000.

I really have my heart set on a mini. A 02/03 mini one 1.4L would be perfect for me.

I've been checking out irish websites and the autotrader but i'm not having much luck finding something locally in the west.

Just in case I find it hard to find a mini this summer can ye recommend other cars for me.

Would be looking for something small and nippy, reliable and good looking. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FrankieD

a suzuki swift would be a better buy less expensive, less trouble, and more reliable and they have that mini look
    u should get a 2006 model for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Suzuki Swift! Here's a nicely speced one that you could probably get for 8k

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1217902

And its a lot newer than 02/03

*EDIT Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Definitely go Suzuki, dont get the 1.3.Its grand, but the 1.5/1.6 versions can really shift!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

FrankieD wrote: »
    a suzuki swift would be a better buy less expensive, less trouble, and more reliable and they have that mini look
    u should get a 2006 model for that money
    Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Suzuki Swift! Here's a nicely speced one that you could probably get for 8k

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1217902

And its a lot newer than 02/03

*EDIT Snap!

Ah, but i see where the op is coming from.

A mini is a much nicer car. Maybe more expensive but that is why.

My advise to the op is can you not travel to dublin or closer cities to look for cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Thanks for the replies. Suzuki swifts are nice cars. It would probably be the smartest buy since I'm still on a learners permit.

• Advertisement

The only 1.5 within budget on carzone is a 05 auto. The rest are a bit more. Closest manual to budget is this: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1216707

Thanks for the replies. Suzuki swifts are nice cars. It would probably be the smartest buy since I'm still on a learners permit.
    I think the minis are a lil bit more expensive to insure alright, dont they only come in 1.6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

As per all the threads, a Swift gets my vote.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Ah, but i see where the op is coming from.

A mini is a much nicer car. Maybe more expensive but that is why.

My advise to the op is can you not travel to dublin or closer cities to look for cars?

Yeah, minis are gorgeous. They're beautiful cars. I love them. If I was to get someone willing to go to dublin or to the east to help me buy car I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Not getting all the suggestions of a Suzuki Swift - grand as a starter motor, but if you're actually after something nice (ie a mini) it's not the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    The only 1.5 within budget on carzone is a 05 auto. The rest are a bit more. Closest manual to budget is this: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1216707

No biggie though, I thought the 1.3 was old school 75bhp or something, but its infact closer to 100bhp!! Its only 1000kg too! Quick little thing.

Graham0999, that suzuki swift you linked is beautiful. Thanks. I'll see in time whatever I can get locally. Hopefully a mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Remember to check out prices up the north too. You can check the VRT using the VRT calculator on revenue.ie.

waraf wrote: »
    Remember to check out prices up the north too. You can check the VRT using the VRT calculator on revenue.ie.

Thanks waraf. Have just found out that my dads work is very quite. He'll be out of work in a few weeks time. I'm sure he'll have no problem helping me buy a car once he's free. I'll give him a nice big lump sum, cash in hand, if he drives me up north for a mini. Hes very good at haggling too.

Advertisement