Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pinking,Knocking!!!

Options
  • 14-05-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

how it goin lads n lassies
    tell me this are all vw golfs notorious for pinking low down in the revs?
    is there any cure for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Use petrol with a high RON. The problem is that nowadays you can't really choose between high and low rated petrol.

It could also be piston slap. My 1.4 Bora suffered from this. New pistons, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

dont want to go down that road yet with new pistons as id rather find the cause ,or if not its back to square one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TURRICAN wrote: »
    dont want to go down that road yet with new pistons as id rather find the cause ,or if not its back to square one again.

If it's piston slap then you've no other option - nothing will cure it and it will get worse. Piston slap is relatively common on some 1.4 VWs.

crosstownk wrote: »
    If it's piston slap then you've no other option - nothing will cure it and it will get worse. Piston slap is relatively common on some 1.4 VWs.

ive heard that about the 1400 alright,this car is 1600 tho:eek:
    i dont think it might be piston slap tho as she should be taking a bit of oil if the piston was slapping at tdc.
    oil levels are ok and have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it definitely pinking? If so, is enough fuel getting through? Pinking is caused by lean running, ie too much air for the available fuel.

• Advertisement

id say it could be running lean alright ,not much throttle response for the travel in the acc pedal.i had a look at the plugs they are ok.i put in a new air filter.i was thinkin the throttle body may need reprogramming but then again there would be an engine light on.
    its bad for a car with 56k miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Are you sure they're the correct plugs for the car?

Advertisement