Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surname Quest

Options
  • 14-05-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am writing this post hoping that someone will be able to either help me or point me in the right direction.
    What I want/need to find out out is the origin of my girlfriends surname. Her surname is "SKLIFUS". Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi,

It looks like it comes from the Greek surname Sklávinos and has derivatives in Eastern Europe such as Skliphous, Skliphus, Skliphos, Sklifos, Skliphas, Sklifas.

I can only hazard a guess as to what it means but my best guess is that it has something to do with 'rock' since it looks like it could be derived from 'skala', which means rock in Slavic languages. Is that any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks so much for that info Hullaballoo, I really appreciate it.
    Thanks again. I will show her this later. It should please her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Quick Googling of it returns a lot of Lithuanians. My knowledge ofLithuanian is none, but I know Phil Jupitus is of Lithuanian decent and his surname aslso ends in -us, so that may be another link...

Advertisement